A Glimpse of Desire: The Outfit that Stirred My Soul
The story I’m about to share isn’t unique. We all have those moments when we see an outfit that stops us in our tracks, makes our heart race, or triggers something deeper within. For me, it happens often, when an outfit resonates so deeply that it sparks thoughts and feelings that stay with me long after the moment is over. Recently, I saw a fluffy jumper that reminded me of an outfit I once saw back in the summer of 2022. It got me thinking about that moment all over again, and I wanted to share it with you. This particular outfit stuck with me, and I wanted to give you an insight into how I react when I see an outfit that truly captures my attention and stirs something inside me.
To truly capture the essence of what happened, I need to take you back to that summer. It was a Saturday, and I was buried in overtime, preparing IT equipment for the computer labs at work. The hours were dragging, but something happened that day that would stay with me long after the tasks were done.
A female lecturer from the Engineering Department had recently changed her role. She had come in on her day off to move her things to her new office, and I watched her pass by the glass windows of the lab where I was working. It was such a fleeting moment, yet it triggered a wave of emotions and thoughts that would linger in my mind for hours.
I had always thought she was attractive, a subtle, understated beauty. She had these gorgeous eyes, brows that seemed perfectly sculpted, and long, dark brown hair that seemed to shine in the light. Her usual office attire had always been nice enough, but nothing particularly eye-catching.
But that day was different.
She walked by, and my heart instantly began to race. She was wearing a light cream coloured fluffy jumper, a pair of light blue denim skinny jeans, and black highly polished ankle boots. I could barely process what I was seeing, but my first thought was simply: Wow, she looks amazing.
And yet, as I took in each element of her outfit, a shift happened within me. A flutter of something deeper and more unsettling, longing, envy, began to stir. I didn't just admire the look, I wanted it. I wanted to be her in that moment, wearing that very same outfit. The very thought made my stomach tighten with a mixture of desire and frustration. It was a fleeting glance, but in that second, it felt like time had stopped.
I assumed, of course, she was dressing casually for the weekend, a relaxed look for a busy day of moving offices. A smart yet easy outfit. And she’d nailed it. The soft cream of the jumper contrasted so beautifully with the light blue of the jeans, and those boots... they were the perfect choice to complete the ensemble. The way she tucked in the jumper just a little at the waist gave it shape, accentuating her figure in the most subtle, elegant way. It was a simple outfit, but it had this quiet, effortless style that made it memorable.
As the day dragged on, I couldn’t shake the image of her, or the outfit, from my mind. Every time I tried to focus on the work in front of me, my thoughts would drift back to that brief encounter. My heart continued to race, a feeling I couldn't seem to escape. The outfit made a deep impression on me, one I wasn’t expecting but couldn’t deny.
A few hours later, as I walked down the hallway back to my office, I spotted her again. This time, our paths crossed more directly, and I felt that same rush of excitement, that familiar churning in my stomach. My heart pounded harder as I watched her approach, taking in the full picture now, her long, dark hair cascading beautifully, her figure framed by that perfect, casual-but-smart ensemble. I felt almost dizzy with admiration, envy, and longing, my cheeks flushed with the warmth of a feeling I could hardly explain.
In that moment, I wasn’t awakened to anything new, I was reminded of something that's always been there. An ongoing desire to embrace and express the feminine side of myself that has existed for as long as I can remember. I wanted to wear that outfit, to feel it on my skin, to experience the world through the lens of her style.
It wasn’t just about the clothes, though. It was about the feeling they evoked, of femininity, of elegance, of something deeper than just fabric and fit. The outfit became a symbol, a representation of the part of me that has always longed to be seen and expressed, even if it’s often kept hidden.
AI created image of the outfit
Seeing that similar fluffy jumper recently reignited my longing for that outfit, and by Friday evening, I found myself turning to the online app Vinted for help. I spent hours scrolling through listings, searching for a jumper, skinny jeans, and boots that could replicate the look. I remembered vividly how, when I first saw the lecturer's outfit, I had spent days online hunting for those exact boots. After some searching, I had finally discovered they were All Saints 'Donita' boots. I had come so close to buying them back then, but the price had put me off.
This time, a quick search on Vinted allowed me to find them secondhand at a fraction of the cost, so I didn’t hesitate, I bought them.
In just a few hours, I had tracked down and purchased every item of that outfit. Now, I find myself with two thoughts: one, the excitement of finally owning the outfit and recreating that look for myself; and two, the logistical dilemma of where am I even going to store these new items?
But, alas, that's a worry for another day!
Thanks for reading,
Lotte x

No comments:
Post a Comment