Sunday, December 14, 2025

The Pink Jumper: A Small Comfort on a Hard Day


Last Wednesday was a low day. The kind of day where gender dysphoria hits hard, leaving me hollow and unsettled. I don’t recall exactly what triggered it, but I do remember the walk from my workplace to the car park, feeling drained and overwhelmed, like my emotions were spiralling out of control. My tears came in waves, start, stop, start again. By the time I got in the car, the sobbing was in full swing, and it didn’t let up until I pulled into the driveway at home.

When I walked in, my wife was there, and I wanted to tell her what I was feeling. I wanted to open up, to say the words that had been sitting in my chest. But instead, I stayed quiet. I didn’t want to burden her. It was then that I noticed a package had arrived for me, some fishnet tights, the same four styles I’d ordered before my recent makeover, only this time they were red instead of black.

‘What’s in the package?’ she asked.

‘Oh, just some tights,’ I replied, trying to downplay it and the conversation ended there.

Dinner was a quiet affair, soup, nothing special. Afterwards, I retreated to the bedroom, got undressed, and crawled into bed. That’s when the crying started again, soft and silent this time, but no less painful. It went on for about half an hour, and then, all of a sudden, an image came to me. A pink jumper. I imagined myself in it, paired with black skinny jeans and chunky heeled ankle boots. I was at the Wetherspoons pub I liked, surrounded by family. I was smiling, confident, and comfortable in my own skin..

I still looked male, but my hair was long and styled the way I wanted it, my makeup minimal and unflashy, black nail polish on my nails, and no one, absolutely no one, paid me a blind bit of notice.

And just for a while as I lay there in darkness and silence I held onto that mental image until I fell asleep."

 

An AI generated image of the outfit

Thanks for reading

Lotte x 

8 comments:

  1. Been there, felt that. Sorry you experienced misery. Try, if you can, to flip the switch to joy. Find happiness in small acts of femininity to offset the sadness of being this way. It's how I survive. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words, Ally. I’m making an effort to embrace the little joys of femininity, it’s not always easy, but I’m trying, honestly.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear you had an awful run in with the Dysphoria Beast. Not to torture the metaphor, but it sounds like you truly got a mauling 🫂

    FWIW, I find that tiredness, stress, and worry erode my defences against such things. Of course the first three seem part of modern living, so it's not easy to keep the proverbial shields at 100%

    But, I think there's things you can do, to carve out a little time, and give yourself space to recover. Good luck 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, thanks so much for your kind message, I definitely felt like I was mauled by the Dysphoria Beast!

      You’re right about stress and tiredness making things harder to handle. I’m going to try carving out some time for myself to recharge, even if it’s just little moments here and there. It’s a work in progress, but your advice helps!

      Thanks again

      Lotte x

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear of that bad dysphoria attack, Lotte. It can really get us at times. But that was a good recovery there by thinking of things that make you happy with your femininity. Didn't Julie Andrews have something to sing about favourite things making us less sad, in everyone's favourite Christmastide movie?

    You've made huge strides this year like reviving your pretty blog, having two gorgeous makeovers, getting feminine piercings and a lovely tattoo. A future where you can just be yourself, surrounded by family and friends could well be attainable if you move gently towards that goal, and then you can tell dysphoria to go take a jump.

    Nice outfit. My kind of style, too.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Thank you so much for your kind words. You’re right, dysphoria can be tough, but focusing on the things that make me happy really helps. And yes, Julie Andrews' advice is spot on!

      I really appreciate your encouragement about my progress this year. Sometimes it’s easy to forget how far I’ve come, but your support reminds me that the future I’m dreaming of is possible. Moving gently forward feels like the right approach.

      Thanks again for being so thoughtful,

      Hugs,

      Lotte xx

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness, do I know that feeling. Dysphoria hitting out of nowhere. And choosing to stay silent because you don't want to put that weight on your wife? So relatable.

    I love that pink jumper became a kind of anchor for you. And I have to say it: that outfit is perfect. A great cable knit will always get a yes from me. And that shade of pink feels so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Michelle. It really does come out of nowhere, and choosing silence can feel oddly heavy even when it’s meant kindly. Knowing you recognise that feeling makes it feel a lot less lonely.

      Delete