Thursday, March 19, 2026

Admiring the Look:
Gloss & Glam with the Statement Coat

I have to go back a long way, almost thirty years, to talk about this outfit. It’s a moment I remember vividly, centred around a specific item of clothing that I’ve spent the next three decades trying to track down. 

It was my first date with the woman who would later become my wife, and we were heading to the cinema to watch Mission Impossible. It was early evening, and as we made our way toward the entrance, a young couple walked past us in the opposite direction, like us, out on a date. 

But it wasn’t the couple that caught my attention, it was what the young woman was wearing. Nope, it wasn’t the cobalt blue blouse or the sleek black trousers, it was the glamorous black vinyl coat that truly stood out.

an AI generated image of the young woman's cinema-going outfit 

Vinyl/PVC often carries connotations of fetishism, but this coat was different, it was elegant and striking in its own right. I’ll admit, I’ve always been drawn to vinyl/PVC clothing, and I’m not ashamed to say so. 

But when I saw her coat, it wasn’t just the coat I wanted, it was the way it made her look, the confidence it exuded. I wanted to capture that same aura, to wear that outfit and make it my own. There was something magnetic about the way the coat caught the light, almost daring you to notice it, and I couldn’t help but think: That’s how I want to feel.

I’ve spent years searching for a coat that mirrors the one I saw that evening. Not long after, while out shopping with my soon-to-be wife, I spotted one that seemed almost identical in a shop called Etam. But at the time, how could I explain such a purchase? I wasn’t out to her yet. Since then, I’ve never found anything that comes close. It’s the coat’s length, the long straight sleeves, the collar, the smooth, high-quality black vinyl fabric, and a sleek black zip fastener that appealed to me most. 

an AI generated image of the young woman's cinema-going outfit
 

an AI generated image of the young woman's cinema-going outfit

For a sophisticated twist, swap the trousers for a figure-flattering pencil skirt and the loafers for a pair of glossy black patent stilettos.

an AI generated image of the elevated outfit with a 
figure flattering pencil skirt and glossy black patent heels
 
Finally, the look can be elevated even further with the addition of black semi-opaque tights. Far from diminishing the outfit’s appeal, tights can be just as flattering as bare legs, lending a subtle sophistication and smooth finish that enhances the overall silhouette.
 
an AI generated image showing the figure flattering pencil skirt,
black semi-opaque tights and glossy black patent heels

4 comments:

  1. you look very nice, the ai images give some inspiration, dont they

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately I'm not in any of the images in this post, they're all AI generated images. Yes, the AI images definitely give inspiration πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  2. Vinyl seemed to have a moment didn't it? I remember the soft spiky bags one year, and there was a brief flurry of PVC dresses and coats in others.

    I don't remember anyone wearing anything like that, in our peer group, but then I think we were grungy metal types. Well, on the outside at least πŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lynn, it did have its moment. I think the right type of vinyl, combined with the right design, can make a dress or coat look really classy and stylish. However, cheaper vinyls can really diminish the overall look, making it appear less refined.

      Delete