Monday, March 23, 2026

Glossy but Not Enough:
My Obsession with Perfect Nails

Visiting the beauty salon last December and walking away with glossy black nails was truly magical. Something I had wanted for so long had finally materialised, and it felt wonderful. Yet, despite being mostly happy with my nails, I couldn’t shake a small niggling feeling, they just weren’t perfect enough.

When I look at them, they aren’t as smooth as I’d like. I adore the black gloss, especially the way it catches the light when I move my hands. But compared to my wife’s BIAB nails, mine just don’t have the same flawless finish.

Curious to understand why, I started researching the difference between gel polish nails and BIAB (Builder in a Bottle) nails. It turns out that for me to be completely happy, I would likely need to switch to BIAB.

The main difference lies in purpose and structure. Gel polish is a thin, paint-on product meant to add colour and shine. It simply follows the natural shape of the nail, highlighting any ridges or unevenness underneath. BIAB, on the other hand, is a thicker, strengthening gel that is built up over the nail to create structure. The nail technician can sculpt and smooth the nail surface, actively correcting imperfections. This sculpting is why BIAB achieves that ultra-smooth, flawless finish that standard gel polish cannot.

On Sunday, my wife and I were comparing our nails, and the difference was clear, her BIAB nails were effortlessly smooth, while mine felt a million miles away in comparison. She explained her BIAB process at the salon she visits, run by skilled Chinese nail technicians, and it’s clear there’s far more work and attention involved.

I’ve always liked my salon and feel comfortable there, so I asked if they offer BIAB as well. They do! I’m booked in this Saturday, and I plan to ask about BIAB to see if it can give me that ultra-smooth finish I’m after. I’ve already paid my deposit, so I’ll be honest about what I really want and see what they say. I’m hopeful that if they do BIAB, they’ll have the right tools to sculpt and shape my nails to my satisfaction. But if, after my visit, I’m still not completely happy, I may have to part ways and follow my wife to her salon instead.

Let’s see how it goes.

Thanks for reading,

Lotte x

7 comments:

  1. Good luck 🤞 I hope you get the result you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing about the outcome of your next session. Nothing beats perfect nails. (Well, apart from perfect nails wrapped round a chocolate eclair! ) Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lotte, I am fully with you. Perfect shine needs a perfect surface underneath. I am very, very curious how your nails will come out. Are you going for black again? Franzi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interested to see how you are getting on, my girlfriend loved hers, but eventually a few broke, and her nail was a weird green colour for a while after ! Think it must have allowed water under for a bit.

    ReplyDelete