Wednesday, April 15, 2026

Lotte's Main Highlights:
Key Moments from Recent Weeks

Wow, almost half way through April already, where did March go?  Nothing too exciting as happened my end, but here's what's been happening since my last Key Moments for Recent Weeks post.

HAIR CONSULTATION AND STYLING APPOINTMENT

It was during a Saturday morning catch-up breakfast with my sister a few weeks back that the topic of getting my hair styled came up. I mentioned that I’d recently discussed the possibility of a trim with the woman who does my nails, and had asked whether she might also be able to style my hair. She explained that she doesn’t usually work with male hair, but after I showed her a photo of a woman with the look I’m aiming for and explained that I wanted my hair exactly like that, she seemed at least open to the idea, although I’m still not entirely convinced she’s fully on board.

My sister suggested I consider a stylist she knows in Liverpool city centre, someone she believes would be much better suited to what I’m looking for. She even offered to reach out to him on my behalf to arrange a consultation. I agreed, as I know I need expert advice and guidance moving forward, both to confirm whether the style I want is achievable and to find someone who can help me get there. She seemed confident that he’d be exactly the right person for the job.
 
When she texted me a couple of weeks ago Wednesday afternoon to say she’d contacted the stylist and arranged a consultation, and possibly even a trim to tidy the ends, it made everything feel suddenly more real. With my hair getting longer, it feels like I’m finally moving towards something I’ve been holding onto quietly for a long time. The thought of sitting down with someone who understands how to shape it into a style that feels right for me, something feminine, but still androgynous enough for everyday life, means more to me than I can easily put into words. It’s a small step on the surface, but to me it feels like something much bigger beginning to take shape.

That following Saturday I went along for my consultation and you can find out how it went in my next post. 

BIAB NAILS

If you saw my 'Glossy but Not Enough: My Obsession with Perfect Nails' post, you’ll know I’d been hunting for that elusive smooth, flat finish. While I’d enjoyed my gel nails, they still let the natural ridges peek through, and no amount of glossy topcoat could fully disguise them. I’d noticed my wife’s nails done in BIAB and was immediately struck by how flawless and even they looked. Unlike regular gel polish, BIAB is thicker and self-levelling, so it can actually fill in those tiny ridges and create a much flatter, smoother surface. Seeing her results made me eager to try BIAB myself and finally see if I could achieve that mirror-like finish I’d been chasing.

So on Saturday, I went in for my nail appointment, excited to try BIAB for the first time. Sitting down with the nail technician, I explained that I was hoping for a flatter, smoother finish than my usual gel nails. I’d already paid my deposit, so I was curious to see what results could be achieved, would my nails end up as flawless as my wife’s, who had been getting hers done at a Chinese-run salon? 

My wife had told me that part of the reason her nails looked so perfect was in the preparation: the cuticles were carefully groomed beforehand, something my usual salon doesn’t do. She also mentioned that the salon uses proper tools and techniques to ensure the BIAB is perfectly smooth and shaped to her requirements, key steps that really help achieve that sleek, mirror-like finish. I thought I’d give it a try here first, and if I wasn’t completely happy with the results, I could always go to the same salon as my wife in the future.

The difference was immediately obvious. Compared to just gel polish, the BIAB had filled in the natural ridges of my nails, creating a noticeably flatter and smoother surface. The self-levelling formula seemed to do the hard work on its own, and with two thin layers of black gel and a glossy top coat, the finish looked dramatically better than ever before, truly sleek and mirror-like. Maybe not quite as flawless as my wife’s BIAB nails, but I was still absolutely delighted. 

 

The gel nails had already made me calmer and happier, but embracing my femme side and striving for that extra smooth, flat perfection added a deeper sense of satisfaction, proof that even small details can bring a surprising amount of joy and confidence.

SOME NEW JEWELLERY

I recently treated myself to a new wedding ring, something a little nicer than the plain stainless steel one I’d been wearing for years. I found it on the Argos website and thought it would be a perfect upgrade. However, after less than a month of wearing it, one of the small stones fell out, which was really disappointing since I’d really liked the ring. Fortunately, I was able to get a refund and decided to look for something else on Amazon. This time, I decided to skip rings with stones and opted for the following pack of stainless steel rings instead:

Pleased with my purchase and how affordable they were, I couldn’t resist picking up the following as well:


At the weekend, I picked up this necklace, which I plan to wear every day:

PERFUMES ROUND UP

Last month, after accompanying my wife to get her new tattoo, we spent some time exploring Liverpool City Centre. While we were doing a bit of window shopping, we popped into the Next Retail Store, where I couldn't resist picking up a couple of perfumes to add to my collection. Interestingly, both of these fragrances are ones I've previously bought for my wife, so I knew I'd enjoy them too, Paradise and Flowers.

Paradise is a beautifully balanced fragrance, with top notes of fresh, citrusy fruits, sometimes pear or bergamot, with a light sweetness that gives it a refreshing lift. The heart of the fragrance is soft florals like gardenia and jasmine, while the base is anchored by a subtle musk and light woods.


On the other hand, Flowers offers a delicate blend of light, fruity, and green top notes that evoke a sense of freshness. Its heart blooms with white florals, including rose, jasmine, and lily, while the base features a comforting mix of musk and soft woods.

Both perfumes have moderate longevity and projection, lasting for a few hours and staying close to the skin, a perfect choice for an understated yet lovely scent experience.

Of course, I didn't just treat myself. I bought these fragrances for my wife too, as a little gift to complement her collection

While browsing in TJ Hughes, I found myself debating whether or not to pick up Giorgio Armani's Sì Passione. Ultimately, I decided to go for it, as I already loved the original Sì fragrance and was curious to see how its more intense counterpart would compare.

Sì Passione by Giorgio Armani is a bold, captivating fragrance that immediately grabs attention. It opens with a vibrant burst of blackcurrant and pear, offering a juicy, slightly tart freshness that feels both uplifting and energising. As the scent develops, the heart unveils a delicate bouquet of rose and jasmine, with a hint of pink pepper adding a warm, spicy kick. The fragrance then settles into a sensual base of vanilla, patchouli, and amberwood, creating a smooth, warm, and slightly woody finish that lingers elegantly on the skin.


In comparison to the original Sì, Sì Passione is a more intense and daring take on the signature scent. While Sì is refined and elegant, with its soft blend of blackcurrant nectar, rose, and vanilla, Sì Passione takes these familiar notes and amplifies them with fresh, juicy fruits and spicy undertones. The result is a fragrance that’s bolder, more energetic, and perfect for those who want a scent that makes a statement. Where Sì is understated and sophisticated, Sì Passione is vibrant, passionate, and bold.

Sue over at Sue's news and views mentioned that she wasn’t a fan of Sì, describing it as smelling like "cucumber sandwiches." Personally, I don’t get that impression at all, but I can understand that it's not a fragrance for everyone. For me, though, I absolutely love it and Sì is probably my current favourite perfume, just slightly ahead of Just Pink by Next.

If you’re into perfumes, I highly recommend checking out Sue’s blog and her fantastic post about her visit to the perfume museum in Grasse (A day in the perfume capital of France), it's a great read!

WINDOW SHOPPING WITH MY DAUGHTER

I recently had to take my car to the garage as not long after having my front and back brakes done, a strange scraping noise had appeared.  My daughter came with me and whilst it was at the garage we headed into the local town centre and had a mooch in some of the clothes shops there.  

My daughter says she likes going around the shops with me and it's obvious we do share similar taste in fashion despite our age difference.

We went into one shop, and I immediately wished I were thirty years younger. The dresses were to die for, metallics, lace, and figure-hugging designs; gorgeous skirts, short and daring, made from beautiful fabrics in stunning colours. The tops were just as bold and appealing, some halter neck, some backless, all equally gorgeous. Most of the items were clearly meant for nights out in city-centre bars and clubs, definitely aimed at a younger crowd! Only after leaving the shop did I regret not taking a few photos for my blog, something to look back on. I could have gone back in, but by the time I realised, we were already several shops down the street.    

New Look had some lovely pieces too, slightly less daring than the previous shop, but much more suited to everyday wear. I pointed out a few items to my daughter and suggested how she could style them. For example, there was a cream-coloured sweater that I thought would look great paired with slim-fit pale blue jeans and black biker boots. I also spotted a white cardigan and a green skater dress that I felt would work beautifully together, especially with black tights and a pair of classic black patent heels. 

Next stop was The Fragrance Shop, where we spent a good twenty minutes sniffing our way through all the different perfumes. In the end, my daughter and I picked out two in particular that we really loved, Alien Pulp by Mugler and Born in Roma Donna Purple by Valentino.


Since then, my daughter has ended up buying both of those for herself, but it looks like I’ll have to wait until Christmas to add them to my own collection as I think I've spent enough on perfumes lately!

A couple of other fragrances we tried and really liked were Bright Crystal by Versace and Pure Poison by Dior.

Killing time, after a large breakfast each in Wetherspoons we headed to Asda to have a look the clothes and makeup sections there. There was some nice stuff in the clothing section but my eyes were drawn to the black patent chunky boots until my daughter pointed out that we both have them already.

 
GEORGE
Black Patent Chunky Boots 

I always enjoy browsing the makeup stands when I’m out shopping, but there’s so much to see that it can be overwhelming, so many products, and I often wonder what they’re all for. I came up with a simple solution: I take photos with my phone and study them more closely when I get home. That way, I can figure out exactly what each item is and how it should be used.




MY OWN CLOTHES LABEL
AND A COLLECTION OF PIECES

I’ve been a little quiet on here lately, and for good reason. Behind the scenes, I’ve been working on creating my own clothing label, along with a collection of pieces featuring my own signature prints. Rather than traditional patterns, my designs centre around playful, feminine motifs, think heels, brushes, and bras brought together in a bold, eye-catching way. 

I’ve been building a portfolio of my work, and once it feels just right, I’m hoping to approach a few retailers about showcasing the collection. Even if nothing ultimately comes of it, the whole process has been such a fun and rewarding experience, and as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I’d love to share more, but for now, it’s all top secret! 

HEALTH AND FITNESS UPDATE

Getting back into running after the Christmas break has been tougher than I expected, and I’ve really struggled to reach the kind of weekly mileage I was hitting before. January was particularly slow with just 30km in total, February picked up slightly with 70km, but March was a complete write-off at only 10km. With the lack of consistency, and bread and crisps quietly creeping back into my diet, my weight has gone from 94kg back up to 101kg, and my 38-inch waist trousers are feeling a little too snug again.

That said, I’ve made a commitment to get back on track and run three times a week. Last week was a small but important win, I managed three 5k runs, all just under 30 minutes. The plan now is to stick with three 5ks again this week, then gradually build up to 8km for a couple of weeks, before returning to three 10km runs each week.

I’ve also joined the gym at work, which should make a big difference. Before, I’d head home and then back out again to my local gym, but now I can run straight after work, either outdoors on the nearby trail or on the treadmill if the weather isn’t great.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit deflated about the weight gain, it does feel like I’ve undone a lot of the progress I made between April and December last year. But getting those three runs done last week has given me a bit of momentum again. If I can stay consistent, I know it won’t be long before I’m back where I want to be.

Thanks for reading 

Lotte x

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the collection and the fitness work too. Hopefully both go well 🤞 Ditto for the hair!

    I think the salon did an amazing job with your nails, and great to hear that's helping you feel good about things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shoutout, Lotte. I'm glad you found my trip to the perfume museum interesting. When it comes to perfume, we're all different and some things work better for some than for others. I promise to give Sì another go and see if I get different results since you rate it.

    I'm looking forward to hearing about your hair styling in due course. And definitely curious and excited about your clothing label ...

    As for the nails, I'm glad they've made you so happy. This variant looks really good.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete