Friday, April 17, 2026

From Fade to Glam:
Princess Julia's Makeup in Visage's 80s Video

 

Julia Fodor or Princess Julia as she is better known is an English DJ and music writer who had once been called the first lady of London's fashion scene.  She first came to notice back in the early 1980s as part of the short-lived Blitz Kids club scene, frequenting the Tuesday club night at the Blitz in Covent Garden in London. 

According to Wikipedia the Blitz Kids are credited with launching the New Romantic subcultural movement. 

She achieved mild success and clubland renown after her appearance in the pop video "Fade to Grey", a UK hit single by band Visage released back in October 1980.  The single quickly became a defining synth-pop hit of the early 80s, especially known for it's haunting synth line and bilingual vocals.

The “Fade to Grey” video is such an iconic snapshot of the early New Romantic scene. Princess Julia really stands out, her makeup is pale and goth-inspired, with bold, graphic eyes that grab you instantly. It’s dramatic and a little otherworldly, perfectly matching the haunting synths of the song. Fact: she’s actually miming in the video, as the vocals were recorded by Steve Strange’s girlfriend, which just adds to her striking, theatrical presence and shows how the New Romantics blended fashion, music, and performance into one unforgettable visual statement.
 
original still from "Fade to Grey" video
 
 
an AI enhanced version of the video still 

“Fade to Grey” has always been one of my all-time favourite songs, it somehow never sounds dated. I was just seven when the single came out, already enchanted by the magical synth sounds of that time. It wasn’t until a few years later that I actually saw the video, and that’s when Princess Julia’s makeup caught my eye for the first time. Those bold, dramatic eyes sparked my lifelong love of striking eye makeup, and I’ve been inspired by it ever since.

With the help of AI, I decided to add a pop of colour to her eye makeup while leaving the rest of her look untouched. I could have chosen any colours, but I thought pinks, purples, and blues would work best. What do you think?

an AI enhanced version of the video still with coloured eye makeup

With a bit of help from AI again, I used one of my own photos to see how Princess Julia’s colourful eye makeup might look on a younger me, paired with long, flowing, wavy grey hair. It was fun imagining her bold, dramatic eyes set against my own features:

 
 
Have you ever seen a look, whether makeup or fashion, in a pop video during your teen years that caught your eye and stuck with you? Was there someone who really made you stop and take notice, maybe for their makeup, their outfit, or just their whole vibe? I’d love to know which moments from music videos left a lasting impression on you.
 
Thanks for reading
 
Lotte x

PS
If you like the track “Fade to Grey”, I found a great video on YouTube which tells the story of how the track came about.  It’s quite an interesting watch:

4 comments:

  1. You're showing your age now, hon ;-) lol

    I like the experiments you've done with the makeup. I remember your first makeover really emphasised your eyes very well and that seems a good place to really play with your own look.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I’m starting to feel my age now 😊
      Thanks Sue x

      Delete
  2. I have the first two Visage albums in my collection and remember the video very well. The make up was incredible. I was just 15 when the record was released.

    Dee xxx

    ReplyDelete