Okay, let’s get this out of the way, yes, I know I might be a little too old for this outfit now, but I’ve always wanted to blog about it, and I just couldn’t resist any longer. Why?
Because it's absolutely jaw-dropping, that’s why!
Oh, to wear such a sassy little outfit: the black V-neck, off-the-shoulder, short-sleeved bodysuit, paired with a berry coloured, short pleated skirt in glossy vinyl, finished off with black leather platform ankle boots. It's a look I truly admire for the way it effortlessly oozes femininity, confidence, and a bit of attitude.
I have to take you back to the summer of 2017 when I first laid eyes on this outfit. It’s a day I remember vividly. At the time, I was working at a college, and the new academic term had just begun ushering in a fresh batch of school leavers. For many of these new students, leaving school behind meant they could finally express themselves through fashion. While some stuck to more traditional looks, others embraced fashion that bucked the trend, making bold statements with their outfits. Over the years, I’d seen countless students come and go, and more than once, I came across outfits that I’d consider a little risqué for a college setting. This outfit was definitely one of those but I fell in love with it immediately.
Oh, to wear such a sassy little outfit: the black V-neck, off-the-shoulder, short-sleeved bodysuit, paired with a berry coloured, short pleated skirt in glossy vinyl, finished off with black leather platform ankle boots. It's a look I truly admire for the way it effortlessly oozes femininity, confidence, and a bit of attitude.
I have to take you back to the summer of 2017 when I first laid eyes on this outfit. It’s a day I remember vividly. At the time, I was working at a college, and the new academic term had just begun ushering in a fresh batch of school leavers. For many of these new students, leaving school behind meant they could finally express themselves through fashion. While some stuck to more traditional looks, others embraced fashion that bucked the trend, making bold statements with their outfits. Over the years, I’d seen countless students come and go, and more than once, I came across outfits that I’d consider a little risqué for a college setting. This outfit was definitely one of those but I fell in love with it immediately.
I remember being sat in the canteen, having my morning coffee when I saw
this female student walking along the adjacent corridor. It was the
berry coloured, sleek glossy skirt that caught my attention first, its
smooth, shiny surface catching the light as she moved. And as her full
outfit came into view, my heart started racing, my pulse quickening in a
way I hadn’t expected.
There was a sudden warmth rising in me, a flush that spread from my chest up to my cheeks, as if the colour of the skirt itself had seeped into my skin. I could feel my eyes widen, and a deep sense of admiration washed over me, she looked effortlessly stunning.
But beyond admiration, there was a deeper, almost jealous longing. I couldn’t help but imagine myself in that outfit, wishing I could pull it off with the same confidence and grace she did. It was as if the outfit itself had a power, one that made her stand out and made me feel like I was seeing something rare, something I desperately wanted to possess. I longed to feel as gorgeous and unstoppable in it as she did. There was this strange mix of excitement and envy stirring inside me, a desire to step into her shoes, or rather, her boots, and capture that same magnetic allure.
But beyond admiration, there was a deeper, almost jealous longing. I couldn’t help but imagine myself in that outfit, wishing I could pull it off with the same confidence and grace she did. It was as if the outfit itself had a power, one that made her stand out and made me feel like I was seeing something rare, something I desperately wanted to possess. I longed to feel as gorgeous and unstoppable in it as she did. There was this strange mix of excitement and envy stirring inside me, a desire to step into her shoes, or rather, her boots, and capture that same magnetic allure.
She was a quite a busty girl, and the deep V-neck bodysuit accentuated her figure, revealing quite a bit of cleavage, enough to turn heads. Paired with the rest of the outfit, it was no surprise that a quite a few male students couldn’t help but trail behind her, their eyes clearly drawn to her. She was aware of the attention her outfit was attracting, and there was a certain confidence in the way she carried herself, almost as if she were enjoying the admiring gazes it brought her way.
While the outfit was undeniably stunning, it was definitely a bit too daring for everyday wear at college. I’m fairly certain someone must have mentioned it to her, as not long after, she started dressing more conservatively.
While the outfit was undeniably stunning, it was definitely a bit too daring for everyday wear at college. I’m fairly certain someone must have mentioned it to her, as not long after, she started dressing more conservatively.
AI image of the outfit
That night, when I got home from work, I couldn’t stop thinking about the outfit. I immediately began searching for the skirt on Google and, within moments, I discovered it was from Boohoo, described as a 'Sophie Vinyl Box Pleat Skater Skirt.' I didn’t hesitate; I bought it there and then, along with a similar black short-sleeved V-neck bodysuit. Next, I went on the hunt for a pair of ankle boots, using the image still vivid in my mind as a guide. I eventually found something similar on eBay, and within the span of an hour, I had purchased the exact same outfit I’d seen and admired.
AI image of the outfit
It took a couple of weeks before I finally had the chance to try the outfit on for myself, but every moment of waiting was worth it. As I slipped into it, complete with makeup and my long black wig, I felt an overwhelming sense of femininity wash over me. Standing in front of the mirror, I experienced that same rush I’d felt when I first saw the outfit at work: a wave of excitement mixed with a bittersweet longing. In that moment, I felt both beautiful and deeply out of place. I wished so badly that I could turn back time, that I could have been born female, that I could live this life fully as the woman I’ve always known myself to be. The reflection staring back at me was everything I’d dreamed of, but it only deepened the ache for the person I’ve always felt I should be.
Have you ever felt that rush when you saw an outfit you truly loved, something that made your heart race, made you feel like you were seeing your true self? Have you ever gone out of your way to recreate that look for yourself? If so, how did it feel when you finally wore it, seeing that reflection in the mirror? I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
Thanks for reading,
Lotte x

In a kind way, the outfit seems 'a lot' for work. Well, daytime maybe? However working at bar or on a night out, I think the lady in question would look amazing.
ReplyDeleteHmm. I think some looks are very much age related. Compared to the tedious conservatism of bloke clothes, the social conventions around "What's okay" is far more complex. That's not to say you shouldn't break the rules - it's, I think, knowing how to break them so you wear the outfit, and it's not wearing you.
So, same top on a night out, but a midaxi skirt or even fitted knee length - still with good boots & dark tights - might move it out of The Too Young Zone.
Conversely, there's styles that are, IMO, too much for younger folk and don't work for them. But, on a lady of middle years or older, they look classy and amazing.
Oh, to answer your question... Hmm. Well, I've seen looks on others - Capri pants, dungaree dress, leather look jeans, etc - and thought they looked fab. However, none of them worked on me. A regular Capri cuts at the wrong point on my legs, the dungaree dress swamped my curves, and the jeans... too restrictive and too baggy at the same time!
So, yeah, it doesn't always work, but I think through trying things, you begin to learn what tends to work. 🤞
Yes, definitely “a lot” for daytime Lynn, but certainly a fab outfit for a night out!
DeleteYou make a really good point about how much more complicated women’s clothing conventions can be compared to men’s. I also like how you put it: learning how to break the rules so that you’re wearing the outfit, rather than the outfit wearing you. That feels very true.
Your suggestion of pairing the top with a midaxi or knee-length skirt is a great one too, that would probably shift the whole look into something a bit more balanced while still keeping the spirit of the outfit.
And I completely agree about learning through trying things. Sometimes something looks amazing on someone else and just doesn’t quite work on us, for all sorts of little reasons like cut or proportion. But experimenting is definitely how we figure out what feels right x
Where I live it's often the older women who wear the jazzier outfits and frankly they look great. There are no longer the same ideas about "young" look, "middle-aged" look or "older" look as there used to be and people wear more what makes them happy. That said, Lynn is right, you should wear what works for you, your body, your curves, your legs, etc. This outfit is fab but it will get you noticed and if that's what you are aiming for then go for it. It'd be great for the club in the evening, maybe not so suited for an international trade conference.
ReplyDeleteJust as an aside, I worked in French educational establishments once and when someone turned up in something a bit unconventional or "ooh-la-la" it was monstrously distracting for the other students!
Sue xx
Thanks Sue. Oh to be young again.
DeleteIt's knowing that an outfit this fab is suited for someone much younger than myself which is the killer x
I've often seen women wearing outfits that I simply adored and I've tried to replicate the look myself. Sometimes it works out ok. Occasionally it works wonderfully. But often it just doesn't work for me, despite me desperately wanting it to. These days I take inspiration but then analyse it more, before I set myself up to try and fail to recapture a look I saw on someone else. And I only commit to trying if I've found that style worn by someone similar to me in body shape and appearance.
ReplyDeleteDee xxx
Dee, I really like your idea of taking inspiration but then stepping back and analysing it a little before committing to trying the look. Looking for examples on people with a similar body shape or colouring is a great way to get a better sense of whether a style might actually work in practice x
Delete