Last Saturday, my wife and I were back at the tattoo studio. After recently getting a tattoo to honour her late Mum, she decided she wanted another piece to honour her late Dad as well. She knew she wanted something meaningful, but wasn't quite sure what design to go for.
I suggested the idea of a feather with the word "Dad" incorporated into the design. She liked the concept, so I used ChatGPT to help create a design based on the idea. When she saw the finished design, she loved it, and before long we had booked an appointment with Tais at the Design 4 Life Tattoo Studio.
With my wife getting a new tattoo, I started thinking about turning it into another double session and getting some new ink myself. I already had a design in mind, one I'd created a few months earlier and had been planning to get tattooed in the near future. It seemed like the perfect opportunity; something we could experience together while both adding another meaningful piece to our collections.
Our appointment was set for 12:30, and we had planned to take the train into the city centre, a 20-minute journey from our house. However, a signalling fault disrupted part of the Northern Line, so we had to rely on the replacement bus service instead. Naturally, this meant leaving earlier than planned to ensure we arrived on time for our appointment.
Once I was sorted, Tais turned her attention to my wife’s tattoo, finalising details such as the exact size, placement, and colouring of the feather. Once everything had been agreed, she headed upstairs to prepare her work area. A short while later, when everything was ready, she called us upstairs to begin.
I decided to go first this time and for the first time ever I'd get to actually see my tattoo being done up close. With my last three tattoos due to placement this had not been possible but now I was able to see my design coming to life and it was great.
I like Tais so much, as she's so friendly and chatty, and she always puts us both at ease, making us feel relaxed and comfortable.
Getting "inked," as they call it, is never completely pain-free, but the discomfort is generally manageable, ranging from very mild to quite uncomfortable. Someone once told me that getting a tattoo feels a bit like being scratched with a red-hot needle, and honestly, it often does! Pain-wise, this session was much easier than my thigh and stomach tattoos, and being able to watch the process while chatting made it much more tolerable.
I didn’t time how long it took Tais to complete my tattoo, but once it was finished and I got to see it in all its glory, I was thrilled with how it had turned out. The size was perfect, and she had done another fantastic job, especially with the “D” and “M” and their delicate little wisps.
THE STORY BEHIND MY TATTOO
“Wrong” is a fantastic track, I love the tempo, the melody, and the beat, but it’s the lyrics that really resonated with me, especially the lines: “There's something wrong with me chemically, Something wrong with me inherently, The wrong mix, In the wrong genes.” They felt deeply personal and reflected my experience with gender dysphoria. I thought it would be amazing to design a Depeche Mode tattoo that incorporated some of those words, and “the wrong mix in the wrong genes” seemed particularly apt.
I then used AI to help generate the words “the wrong mix in the wrong genes” in a similar, or identical, font to the word “Wrong” inside the red box, with specific instructions to split the text across two lines. I copied this into my design and then adjusted the sizing of each element until I was happy with the overall composition.
TWO MEANINGS IN ONE DESIGN
This tattoo brings together two parallel meanings that sit alongside each other rather than replacing one another. On the surface, it’s a clear homage to Depeche Mode: the “DM” lettering drawn from the Spirit era, the bold red box with “WRONG” referencing the Wrong single artwork, and the carefully chosen typewriter-style text all reflect a long-standing appreciation for the band’s aesthetic and emotional tone. It’s a fan piece built with precision, rooted in specific visual elements that connect directly to a song and era that have had lasting personal significance.
At the same time, the tattoo takes on a deeper, more personal layer of meaning connected to gender dysphoria. The phrase “the wrong mix in the wrong genes,” presented in a smaller typewriter font beneath the central “WRONG,” expresses a subjective feeling of mismatch between body and identity. Within that context, the wording isn’t a literal claim about genetics, but a way of giving shape to an internal sense of dissonance, an attempt to articulate something difficult to express in ordinary language.
IN SUMMARY
The tattoo is deliberately layered with two meanings: an outward-facing tribute to Depeche Mode, and an inward-facing expression of the experience of misalignment. Both readings coexist within the same design, each adding depth to the other without replacing it. It stands as a symbol of duality: the music I love and the inner experience I live with, intertwined in a single, deliberate design.
Thanks for reading,


Wow! You're becoming a living work of art, Lotte!
ReplyDeleteI looked at their website and it looks like an interesting place with some talented artists. Good that you're enjoying the experience and it's helping with the dysphoria.
Sue xx
Thanks for your kind comments Sue. I never really thought of myself as a living work of art but now you come to think of it, you're right 🙂
DeleteGreat design Lotte and one that also clearly resonates with you on many levels. I agree about tattoos being addictive, currently on my eleventh. Keep on inking!
ReplyDeletep
x
Thanks P. Eleven, that's good going 👍️
DeleteWhat a fab tattoo and I love the deeply personal nature of it, as well. Hope the healing is going well! 🤞
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Lynn ❤️. I'm really glad you can see the personal side of it. Those lyrics, "the wrong mix in the wrong genes," speak to my experience of gender dysphoria in a way I've never quite been able to put into words, so having them as a tattoo feels incredibly meaningful. And yes, the healing is going well so far, thank you! 😊
DeleteI absolutely adore your new tattoo. That song and that line always resonates with me. I was listening to the version of it on their latest live album just a few days ago. The tattoo looks great and is an inspired reworking of the elements by you. I'm currently refining my own Depeche Mode tattoo ideas and I'm also going to get an Altered Images tattoo.
ReplyDeleteDee xxx
Thanks Dee ❤️. It means a lot coming from someone who connects with that song and lyric as deeply as I do. I'm really pleased you like the way I reworked the elements into the design, it took a lot of thought to get it just right.
DeleteI'd love to see your Depeche Mode tattoo ideas when you've refined them, and an Altered Images tattoo sounds fantastic too! 😊
Sadly I've just been told that it's not a good idea to get a tattoo because I have an overactive immune system that could possibly cause flare ups on the damaged skin created by a tattoo. It's a shame but cest la vie.
DeleteSo sorry to hear that Dee, especially when you had your heart set on that Depeche Mode design you'd come up with.
Delete