Thursday, June 11, 2026

Therapy Through AI:
Exploring Identity, Creativity, and Self-Expression

I've discovered something unexpected that has helped ease my gender dysphoria in ways I never thought possible. AI is often discussed in terms of its risks, limitations, and controversies, yet for me it has become something far more personal: a creative outlet and a form of self-exploration.

What I find most striking is that a technology often criticised for being artificial has allowed me to connect more deeply with a part of myself that feels profoundly real. Through creating images and exploring ideas, I've been able to experiment with female fashion, aesthetics, and self-expression in a way that would otherwise exist only in my imagination.

It doesn't change reality, nor does it make the challenges of dysphoria disappear. But it does offer a space where I can explore who I am without judgement or limitation. In that sense, what some see as merely a tool has become something unexpectedly therapeutic, a way of giving shape to feelings that can often be difficult to express, and a glimpse of a version of myself I've long wished I could see reflected back.

There are a few ways I'm using AI, let me explain.....

1.  Help with my Blog Content

Whenever I write a blog entry, I start by typing my thoughts directly onto the screen and gradually refining them until I’m happy with the content. I could stop there, but instead I copy the text into ChatGPT and ask it to polish the writing. It then works through my draft, refining the language and returning a more structured version of the piece.

From there, I read through the revised text carefully to make sure it still reflects what I want to say. If something doesn’t feel quite right, I’ll ask for adjustments or revert specific parts, though that’s fairly rare. Only when I’m completely satisfied do I upload the final version to my blog and format it for publication.

I discussed the use of AI in a previous post and received some useful feedback. Some didn’t want to promote it, as it had been refined with AI and wasn’t seen as solely my own writing. I understand that perspective, but to me it still carries my voice, just expressed more clearly.

2. Exploring Identity Through Fashion Imagery

This part of my work is about exploring identity through fashion imagery. I start with a watercolour-style image of myself from when I was younger, often already dressed in a female outfit. From there, I use AI to reimagine the clothing in different styles, colours, and combinations, each version offering a glimpse of how I might appear, a way to inhabit possibilities I’ve long imagined but never lived. The process is equally about fashion and experimentation, a delicate balance between creative expression and self-reflection. It is deeply satisfying and enjoyable, a pastime that never feels like a chore, especially with the endless variety of beautiful clothing to explore. 

the starting point
 

an outfit collage
 

the request
 

the resultant image

Each outfit opens new possibilities, allowing me to play with style, identity, and imagination without limits. There’s also a quiet relief in knowing that these explorations remain digital; I can try on any outfit I wish without the pressure or impulse of the physical world. In that sense, it becomes more than experimentation, it is a meditative space, a canvas for creativity, and a gentle way to connect with parts of myself that are both deeply real and still unfolding.

Some of my outfit ideas, reimagined from 
an AI-transformed self-portrait into fully realised looks

3. Expression Through AI-Generated Art

I have always loved art, but sadly I was never particularly talented when it came to drawing or painting. However, by combining AI-generated imagery with my own editing and creative direction in graphics packages such as GIMP, I'm able to create digital artwork that reflects my ideas, interests, and imagination. This process allows me to explore forms of visual expression that would otherwise be beyond my abilities, turning concepts and images from my mind into pieces of digital art I can truly engage with.

I particularly enjoy the aesthetics of traditional art styles, such as watercolour and oil paintings. Using AI, I can transform my own images, or images that have already been enhanced digitally, into artworks that mimic these styles. The effect is deeply satisfying: it’s not just about creating an image, but about experimenting with texture, colour, and style, turning each piece into something that feels both unique and expressive.

Beyond the creative enjoyment, this process also carries a personal and emotional significance. With gender dysphoria, AI-enhanced images of myself allow me to see a more feminine version of who I am. Seeing myself reflected in this way is quietly comforting, offering a sense of alignment between my self-image and how I wish to express my identity. In this sense, AI art isn’t just a pastime or a hobby, it’s a means of self-exploration, creativity, and even gentle reassurance.

Below are some examples of what I’ve made. Each image reflects my love of art and shows how I use AI and digital tools to explore creativity, identity, and the ways I can express myself visually. Together, they represent both a creative outlet and a personal journey of self-exploration.

 

an AI enhanced image of myself transformed
into a watercolour portrait painting

an image of myself transformed
into an arty watercolour painting

an AI modified image of myself
transformed into watercolour
  
a pair of high heels turned 
into a colourful watercolour painting

a photo of my hand & painted nails
turned into a watercolour 

a photo of my latest tattoo turned
into a bright watercolour 
 
Perhaps the most surprising thing is that a technology often described as artificial has helped me connect with something that feels profoundly authentic. 


Thanks for reading, 
Lotte x

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lotty, So nice to get caught up with your blogs! I'm in total agreement with your use of A.I. as a tool. There are too many scare stories and not enough understanding of how powerful and helpful it can be when used correctly.

    Speaking of which, I'm amazed at your skills with these images! Absolutely stunning! I can see how they have been therapeutic in visualizing your inner identity. Although I think you are truly beautiful already, wouldn't be wonderful if we could just edit our physical appearance in a like manner? Sometimes I think about what I could have looked like had I discovered my own desire for feminine expression at an earlier stage in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks for stopping by Gail and thanks for your kind comments too. I hope you're keeping well. Yes it would be wonderful if we could just edit our physical appearance in a like manner x

      Delete
  2. Firstly, that new tattoo is awesome - but I might be a bit biased ๐Ÿ™‚

    Reading up on AI - I'm a tech geek, finding cultural change intersting ๐Ÿค“ - there's (obviously) a lot of opinions during arguing at the mo. Some good, some less so - plus รงa change ๐Ÿ˜‰

    I know a few folk who use it to 'break the curse of the white page' or to summarise lots of data. I've used to create images and that's as I can't draw, but I can imagine & describe. Our youngest - an artist - has get strong views about using AI to create stuff. I hope he understands that there's nuances between the stuff I (and possibly you) do, and commercial or public creativity. I would hate to think of putting someone out of a job.

    That said, I'm slightly wary as a trans* person, not to create a version of me - if that makes sense. Yes, a watercolour is one thing. But I'm not sure I'd want to see a properly femme version of myself too regularly. I fear it might push the wrong buttons, because it's something I'd never achieve.

    Buuuut, all that said, if this is working for you and keeping you in a good place - keep going! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, biased because you're a DM fan too then? Interesting to hear your take on AI, thanks. I understand you’re wary as trans* person about creating a version of yourself.

      Personally, I don't mind seeing a more feminine version of myself. I know I'll never actually look like that, but for me it brings a sense of relief rather than disappointment. I think it lets me connect with a part of myself that I'd otherwise only imagine x

      Delete
    2. "...biased because you're a DM fan too then?"

      I am aware of this popular beat combo, yes ๐Ÿ˜‰

      I think fan might be pushing it, as I don't have a lot of their work. That said, the Violator album was a fine selection of tracks. Enjoy the Silence still sounds modern and fresh, despite it's age.

      Delete