Tuesday, December 2, 2025

Lotte's Main Highlights:
Key Moments from Recent Weeks

 

Welcome to the fourth edition of Lotte's Main Highlights, and the last one before Christmas! Hopefully, this one will be a bit shorter than the last two editions.

REFLECTION ON THE RECENT BRIDAL MAKEOVER
 
Just over a week has passed since my unforgettable visit to Femme Side Studio, and I’m still coming down from the high of that incredible afternoon. Doing a write up about that day on my blog, I never could have imagined the overwhelming positive feedback I’d receive. A huge thank you to everyone who stopped by to read it, and to those who took the time to leave comments or send emails, your kind words mean the world to me.

Looking back on that day, I honestly don’t think there’s a thing I would change. It was so much more than just a makeover; it was a moment in time that felt uniquely special. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to top it. Tracey was the epitome of warmth and generosity, making sure I felt completely at ease the entire time. Nothing was too much trouble for her, and she truly made that day about me. I can’t thank her enough for making the experience so memorable.

I know that not every woman gets the opportunity to experience a makeover, and for some, it may be a once-in-a-lifetime event. I’ve been fortunate enough to have two makeovers within the span of six months, and while this bridal makeover might be my last at 52, I’ll carry the memories of that day with me always.

It was more than just the transformation I could see in the mirror; it was about how I felt, how confident and beautiful I felt in my own skin. For me, that was the real magic

ESCADA PERFUME ESCAPADE 

 

Last week, I met up with my sister for a coffee. As we stood in the queue at Costa, I immediately caught a familiar scent in the air. "Mmmm, that smells lovely. Is that Just Pink?" I asked, my senses waking up as the fragrance wrapped around me. "No," she replied with a grin, "It's Escada. I just picked it up from Costco the other day." As soon as I smelled it, I knew I’d have to get some for myself. "Let me see the bottle!" I said, excitement bubbling up. My sister, who knows me all too well, laughed and teased, "See? The moment something feminine comes into play, your mind just goes off on a wander."

She sprayed a little on my glasses case, and the scent lingered with me. The entire next day at work, I kept catching whiffs of it, and it was like a quiet obsession I couldn’t shake. That sweet, intoxicating fragrance had me captivated. It wasn’t just the scent; it was the feeling it evoked, the soft, fleeting nature of femininity that always seems to elude my grasp yet calls to me, like a whisper from a life I sometimes feel both a part of and apart from.

The next Friday, the day before my Bridal Makeover, after visiting Gill to pick up my new wig, I then found myself at Costco with my daughter. I treated myself to that same perfume that had been driving me wild the day before. And because my daughter liked it too, I bought her a bottle as well, though she won’t be getting hers until Christmas. I didn’t buy it for any reason other than I loved it, the fragrance was so feminine, so intoxicating, I couldn’t resist. For me, it wasn’t just about the scent; it was a connection to something that feels both distant and deeply familiar.

 A SURPRISING LESSON IN FRAGRANCE

Whilst we are on the subject of perfumes, recently, my daughter gave me a bottle of Jimmy Choo perfume. It turns out she’d misplaced it a while back, bought a replacement, and then, naturally, the original bottle turned up. Now she had two bottles of what she thought were the same scent, so she decided to pass the older one along to me.

At first glance, both bottles looked identical: the same sleek, signature shape and black cap. But being the keen observer that I am, I quickly realised that the fragrances were different. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the contents in each bottle were subtly different in colour, one darker than the other.

Curious, I examined the bottles even more closely and discovered something interesting. The bottle with the darker liquid had a tiny label that read "Eau de Parfum," while the lighter bottle was labelled "Eau de Toilette." This got me wondering, what’s the real difference between the two?

A quick visit to the Jimmy Choo website revealed the answer: the Eau de Parfum (EDP) contains patchouli, while the Eau de Toilette (EDT) does not. This difference in ingredients means that the EDP version has a warmer, richer scent, while the EDT is lighter and more citrusy.  

I started to wonder why we even have both Eau de Parfums and Eau de Toilettes. From what I discovered, it turns out that EDTs are generally considered better for daytime wear, while EDPs, with their higher concentration of fragrance oils, are typically reserved for evening use. The higher concentration in EDPs also makes them longer-lasting than their lighter EDT counterparts.

Who knew a simple bottle of perfume could lead to such an interesting lesson on scents?  Oh and if you want to know which one I preferred, it was the bottle she had given me, the lighter and more citrusy one.

SIMPLE ACTS OF APPRECIATION

Last week, during one lunch break, I went to pick up my new boots from the eBay delivery point at the nearby Argos, and something unexpected caught my eye. As the woman behind the counter handed me my package, I noticed her nails, they were mostly a sparkly aqua blue, with one nail on each hand painted a shimmering silver. It would have been easy to just admire them silently, to keep my thoughts to myself, but instead, I found myself saying, "Hey, I really love your nails. They're gorgeous."

She smiled and replied, "Thanks! I go to Rhyl in Wales to get them done."

I couldn’t help but laugh and said, "Wow, that’s a long way to go just for nails!" She just smiled again, but for me, that brief exchange felt more meaningful than I’d anticipated.

It was a small moment, a short conversation that probably didn’t mean much to her, but for me, it felt good to acknowledge something I truly appreciated. A compliment can feel like such a simple thing, yet it has a way of making a connection, even if fleeting, that adds a little warmth to an otherwise ordinary day.

This wasn’t the first time I’d done something like that recently. A couple of weeks ago, while standing at a checkout, I caught a waft of perfume from the woman behind the counter. The scent was subtle but striking, and I found myself saying, "Hey, that perfume smells really nice. What is it, if you don't mind me asking?"

"J’adore," she answered, her face lighting up as she paused her work to show me the tiny bottle. "It was a gift," she said with a smile.

"Wow, it’s beautiful," I said, genuinely impressed. "Thanks for telling me what perfume it is."

Turns out, that beautiful scent comes with a hefty price tag, over £100 for the small bottle! But what struck me most, alongside the perfume, was the connection made in that brief exchange. In a world where we often rush through our days, taking a moment to compliment someone, to notice the small things, can be surprisingly meaningful. It’s a reminder that the simple act of giving appreciation, even for something as small as a manicure or a fragrance, can brighten both your day and someone else’s.
 
A GREEN TIE-DYE DRESS

You know that moment when you see something and instantly fall for it? That’s exactly how I felt when I came across Lucy’s Instagram photos from her makeover at Femme Side Studio.

She looked absolutely stunning, and I was completely captivated by the dress she wore. The elegant style, the tie-dye pattern in soft, shifting shades of green, and those sheer sleeves made it utterly irresistible. The moment I saw her in it, I knew I had to have it too.

Photo courtesy of Lucy H
 
Luckily, I was able to track it down on Vinted without any trouble. When it arrived, I tried it on, and it fit like a dream. I can’t wait to style it with black sheer tights and patent heels, and share a few photos here on my blog.

THAT DEPECHE MODE VEST

I ordered the Depeche Mode 'Violator' vest from Etsy and it wasn't until I'd paid that I realised that it would be shipping from California in the United States.  This meant that it was touch and go as to whether my idea of a Depeche Mode 'Edgy' photoshoot at Femme Side would actually happen.  I think the stars aligned right for me the day before, as it arrived that morning, just in the nick of time.

I always loved the 'Violator Red Rose' design and at the same time I ordered the vest I treated myself to a couple of Depeche Mode Violator t-shirts too which I guess can be unisex so I could wear them either in drab or when dressed en femme. 


Speaking of which, Dee over at The Other Side Of Life  was telling me in her comment on one of my posts about a Depeche Mode sweater she once had and said it looked great either in drab or en femme and she said she liked wearing it with a black vinyl skirt.

  

I scoured the web looking for the sweater she described and I think this is the one she meant.  I must admit it does look rather good with the skirt, and black tights.  Definitely an outfit I'd wear myself!

 KINKY BOOTS AND NOT SO KINKY BOOTS

I’m not afraid to admit it, I absolutely love heels, boots, and especially shiny thigh-highs. After buying a pair of black ones for my edgy Depeche Mode outfit photoshoot, I couldn't resist getting another pair in red. Now, I'm thinking about doing another photoshoot, this time at home, and I’m pretty sure the red will pair perfectly with that black Depeche Mode vest.

The patent over-the-knee boots below had been on my wish-list for ages, and I can already picture them with black leggings and a cream, fluffy jumper dress. Despite being black patent, they’re not nearly as kinky as the boots above.

 

The boots below aren’t kinky, either. I picked them up on Vinted for a fraction of their original price, and I’ve already envisioned the outfit they’ll complete.

 BLACK AND RED VINYL DRESSES

In one last spending spree before the New Year, I indulged my darker side and snapped up these vinyl dresses. Even Lotte likes to feel a little mischievous now and then, and these pieces are definitely on the daring side.



 

 BOUNCING BACK FROM THE GREY WIG EPISODE 

You may recall my recent post about trying out a grey wig, which left me feeling pretty disappointed and down afterwards. However, I managed to turn that negative experience into a positive one. With a little photo editing magic, I transformed the wig from grey to blonde and gave the makeup a subtle touch-up, lightening it and smoothing it out. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the result!

 

What do you think, do I suit being blonde? 
 
BED TIME READING

In October, I reached out to North West Gender Identity Services and referred myself for one-to-one gender therapy sessions. After my initial telephone assessment, I was informed that I’d been placed on a two-year waiting list.

Not long after that, I received a follow-up email from the service with a list of community support options and helpful resources. One of the recommendations was a book titled How to Understand Our Gender: A Practical Guide for Exploring Who You Are.

I decided to purchase it, and I’ve been reading a few pages each night before bed. I’ve made my way through the first few chapters, but so far, there’s nothing particularly exciting to report back. It’s still early days, though, so I’m hoping the content picks up as I go along.
 
AND FINALLY...
 
As the year draws to a close, I find myself reflecting on what a journey it's been. There have been plenty of highs and lows, and if I’m being honest, probably a little too much spending along the way. I’m mostly tapped out now, well, at least I will be after I find something special for my wife this Christmas.

Before I fully unwind into the festive break, there's just the small matter of a feminine tattoo to get done this week, and then I can breathe a little easier.

Looking ahead to the new year, I’m excited about the possibility of dressing more at home and finally wearing some of the beautiful clothes I’ve bought. Even if it’s just for a few photos, it’s about allowing myself the space to be the real me, if only for a few hours. It feels like a step towards embracing who I am, without hesitation and with my wife's blessing.

In the coming year, I’m also considering some personal changes. There’s the possibility of getting a Nano Brow procedure, which could be a small but meaningful way to express my femininity. On top of that, I’ve been thinking about microdosing, whether through the NHS or privately. It’s something I want to explore, to see if it can help me find more balance and clarity as I continue this journey.
 
Thanks for reading
 
Lotte x 

6 comments:

  1. So much to comment on ... but I'll keep it short.

    Yes, blonde suits you. You have blue eyes so it's a colour that works with those.

    You know, what with yours and Lucy's fabulous photos from Femme Side Studio, I really think I'd like to have a new set of nice photos done, too.

    As for your boots and dresses and nails and perfume wishlists, I can see the different attractions of all of them, but don't spend too much! I find it hard to pace my spending, especially with so much stuff in the shops at this time of year. I've just bought a lot of footwear as you know and, much as I'd like some perfume too (Dior Poison for me), I'll try and resist. If you're interested in knowing more about perfume types and strengths and what works for TGirls I have a whole post titled "Perfume: a guide for selecting a good fragrance as a transgender woman" here: https://suerichmond.blogspot.com/2021/03/perfume-guide-for-selecting-good.html

    Have a good week, Lotte, and a good December. Looking forward to hearing about your tattoo.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should definitely have a new set of photos done Sue, treat yourself 🙂

      Thanks for the link to your perfume post, I shall have a read of that.

      Best Wishes

      Lotte x

      Delete
  2. Lotte, I didn’t realize how much you’d actually packed into these past few weeks until this post. It reads like a whirlwind, but in a good way. Makeovers, perfume adventures, outfits, little moments with strangers. You’ve been living a lot of life lately. Yes, please!

    I hadn’t heard of that gender book you mentioned, but now I’m thinking I might pick it up too. Sounds like something worth having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Michelle and leaving a comment. Yes, been quite a busy couple of weeks.

      Lotte x

      Delete
  3. A lot going on with this wonderful post. I think you look amazing with blonde hair. As Sue says blue eyed giI s look great with blonde hair. I find most hair colours suit us.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your tattoo when it's settled down.
    Those boots all look fabulous.I especially like the less kinky ones, because I could wear those ones without needing knee surgery. I love the vinyl dresses too. I'm sure you'll look fabulous in them.
    Wow! Thanks for your recreation of my Depeche Mode look. It's very much like the top I had, except the chest motif was smaller and higher up on the chest, just below the collar, and the collar and cuffs weren't the elasticated sweatshirt type, which made the top slightly more feminine. I've looked for it online but it's nowhere to be found. It was genuine merchandise because I bought it inside Wembley Arena back in 1990. Whenever I wore it to Depeche Mode concerts I would get people asking where I got it. And the landlady in my local pub used to say I looked great on it. I always wanted say I looked better in it as a girl, but I never did.
    I hope you have a great December.

    Dee xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, Thank you so much for your lovely reply. I’m glad you like the blonde hair, and I completely agree with Sue about how blue-eyed girls just seem to pull it off. It’s fun to experiment with hair colour, and I’m happy you think it suits me! You’re also right about how most hair colours work well for us, and I’m excited to keep playing with different shades in the future.

      As for the boots, I’m so glad you like them too! I totally get what you mean about the more practical ones, those are definitely a bit easier to manage than some of the higher, more dramatic ones, haha. The vinyl dresses are something I’ve been excited about for a while, and I can’t wait to see how they look in person!

      It was such a joy recreating your Depeche Mode look! I love how you described the original shirt, it must have been such a great piece, especially with the memories of the concerts and the comments from the pub landlady! That kind of nostalgia is so precious. I wish I could find one just like it for you, how amazing would it be to wear it again after all these years? It must have been a total hit back in the day!

      Thank you again for your thoughtful words, Dee. I hope your December is filled with joy and some well-deserved fun. Looking forward to chatting more soon!

      Lotte x

      Delete