Thursday, March 12, 2026

A Rumbling Inside: A Desire for More Ink


Last Saturday, I accompanied my wife to the tattoo studio, she was getting her first tattoo. The idea had grown out of my own experience with my butterflies tattoo, which I got back in December of last year. I had planted the seed for her design, something tasteful as a tribute to her late mother. I helped her shape the design and even went along with her to meet the tattoo artist, discussing placement, size, and scheduling a date. I suggested she use the same artist I had, Taya had done such a wonderful job on my tattoo, and she was so lovely and friendly too.

As I watched my wife get her tattoo, I could hear her conversation with Taya. She spoke about the possibility of a second tattoo, one to honour her dad. I encouraged her to go for it and half-joked that maybe I’d get another tattoo too. But deep down, I wasn’t joking at all, I was completely serious. Even before Saturday I had been considering more ink, something else feminine, more butterflies perhaps or maybe something floral.

While helping design my wife’s tattoo, we’d gone online to look at other designs. The more we looked, the more seriously I started thinking about getting one of my own. I’ve already made up my mind about what I’m going to get next. It will be discrete, nothing too big, and whether it’s deemed feminine might be questionable. I don’t want to share the final design, but it is similar to the following:

As for the placement, I’m keeping that under wraps for now. But if you were to get something like this, where would you put it, ankle, wrist, chest, shoulder?
 
I know this won’t be my last tattoo. In fact, I’ve got at least one or two more planned after this next one. I’m thinking something floral for the next, followed by maybe a high-heeled stiletto. The placement is still up in the air, but wherever I choose, it will definitely be somewhere discreet. It’s all about balance though, get too many tattoos, and there’s a risk they can start looking overdone. But with careful consideration of placement, I’m confident they’ll all look just right.
 
There’s a tattoo I’ve been longing for years, one I would happily get tomorrow if I could. But I know it’s something I need to consider very carefully. It would be a series of butterflies, starting with a small one near the top of the outer arm, then a slightly larger one at the top of the shoulder. The next would sit just below my neck, and the largest would be on the side of my neck, just below the ear. I first saw it online some time ago, and since then, I've wanted it so badly:


source: google
 
I absolutely love this design. Even without any colour, the concept is stunning in its simplicity. There’s something so profoundly feminine about the delicate flow of the butterflies, gradually getting larger as they rise. And then, what if we added a splash of colour, some pinks and blues in a watercolour style? The whole design would take on a new level of beauty, becoming even more vibrant and alive. How stunning would that be, to see those colours flowing through the butterflies, adding an extra layer of depth to an already meaningful piece?

 
AI enhancement adding pink & blue

It feels symbolic of my own journey, small steps toward embracing my true self, growing into the person I’ve always been inside. The placement, moving from my arm to my neck, almost feels like a visual representation of finding my voice, of letting go of the constraints that once held me back. It’s a reminder that, no matter how long it’s taken, I am finally starting to spread my wings.
 
Thanks for reading 
 
Lotte x 

7 comments:

  1. Dear Lotte,

    although I have no tatoo (yet ? 😃) I always liked the watercolor style. I also considered the symbol you have in mind on one of my shoulders, and I would combine it with a butterfly similar to this
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Another_Yin-Yang-Yuan_BiggestWholeButterfly_TransGender-Symbol.png
    so even combining both of you motives. In watercolore style ... and I could become weak ❤️

    The butterfly series is very special and meaningful. I have a good friend who has it very similar to your AI enhanced version. Also for her it is highly symbolic and represents her growth out of a toxic relationship. I really, really love it on her. In summer when she wears a sleeveless dress you see her history, her strength, her feminity, but also her vulnerability. In winter it's appears even stronger, at least for me knowing her history and her tale of woe: No matter what she is wearing, you always see (at least) the last beautiful butterfly on her neck which is such a strong symbol of "no matter what: I am strong, I am beautiful and I will not hide any more" ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to reply to this post Kirsten, much appreciated. I like the way you say "yet", it sounds like you may be giving a tattoo of your own a bit of thought.

      The way you describe your friend's tattoo and the meaning behind it is lovely. Butterflies really do make for lovely tattoos x

      Delete
  2. It's sweet to hear how your wife is wanting to pay tribute to and memorialise her parents. And that your taking the plunge first has made her take the step.

    Your first tattoo is lovely. I can see the appeal of delicate, feminine butterflies. Where you put sociopolitical symbols depends on how 'out' you want to be.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to reply Sue, much appreciated.

      I can definitely take the blame for sowing the idea of a tattoo in my Wife's head. I knew she wanted something in tribute to her Mum and a tattoo with some forget-me-not flowers seemed like the perfect tribute.

      When you describe it as a “sociopolitical symbol,” it suddenly sounds a million miles away from simply being a lovely, feminine tattoo. Your comment actually made me pause and think about it more carefully, and whether I really need it. In the end, though, I realised that it is something I genuinely want. With the design, size, and placement I have in mind, I think it will both look beautiful and carry real meaning for me.

      The butterfly tattoo with the pink and blue splash in the final image is one I’m especially drawn to, and I can definitely see myself getting it at some point in the future.

      Delete
    2. Forget-me-nots. Such pretty flowers and what an ideal thing to have as a memento and tribute.

      I wasn’t trying to put you off having your symbol design, Lotte, but you did query in your text as to how feminine it was and asked where would it go best. I know the symbol you’ve put up as the Gender Inclusive or Gender Neutral or Transgender symbol depending on context. Some people would use it as a statement for all to see, others would prefer a discreet, more personal approach.

      Sue xx

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sue. I know you weren’t trying to put me off, but your comment did make me think. The logo itself isn’t particularly feminine, but I hope that with the blue and pink watercolor effect around it, it will have a pretty touch. Yes, I definitely prefer a discreet, more personal approach, hence the placement I have chosen.

      Lotte xx

      Delete
  3. Whatever tattoos you get, I'm sure you will love them. I often find myself complimenting women on their tattoos. The dental nurse at my dental appointment last week, had some beautiful delicate tattoos on her arms. I'm not brave enough to go that far.

    Dee xxx

    ReplyDelete