Monday, September 8, 2025

Two Voices, One Body: A Lifetime with Gynecomastia

Some battles don’t happen out loud. They don’t leave bruises or scars. They unfold in silence, in the quiet moments between clothing choices, in the nervous glance at a mirror, or in the subtle shift of posture when someone walks by.

This is the story of one such battle. A lifelong, deeply personal struggle. Not with a person, or a belief system, but with a body.  And more specifically, with gynecomastia.

What Is Gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia is a medical condition that causes the benign enlargement of breast tissue in males. It can develop during puberty, with hormone changes, or later in life due to age, medication, or other health factors. It’s far more common than many realise, and far more misunderstood.

For some, it’s a passing phase. For others, like me, now in my early 50s, it’s been a constant companion, present since my teenage years.

But this story isn’t just about biology. It’s about identity, gender expression, body image, and the emotional weight of a condition that doesn’t just alter appearance, it alters experience.

Teenage Years: When the Mirror Became a Battleground

I first noticed the change around 14. A small swelling under the nipples. Tender. Soft. Different.

While the other boys in my year were celebrating the usual signs of manhood, shaving, muscles, deepening voices, this felt like a betrayal. A body shifting in the wrong direction. I kept it hidden, terrified someone would see, laugh, or ask questions.

But underneath that fear, something else stirred. Something quiet and confusing: a flicker of fascination. An unspoken part of me didn’t hate it.

A part of me… liked it.

A Lifelong Inner Conflict: The Two Voices

Now in my early 50s, that inner conflict still exist, sharpened by time, but no less intense.

Two distinct voices have lived in my body for decades.

My male side is cautious and self-conscious. it doesn’t hate the chest, but resents how visible it is. It dreads fitted shirts, warm weather, changing rooms, and any activity where movement draws attention. It worries about what people will think, what they’ll assume, what they might say.

“Wear something looser.”
“People will notice.”
“You need to cover up.”

My feminine voice, by contrast, loves them. For her, the presence of breasts is comforting, validating, and even exciting. When she dresses, she feels whole. The curves are real. The clothing fits better. There’s no need for breast forms, no illusion to create, it’s already there.

“They’re beautiful.”
“You don’t have to pretend with me.”
“This is who we really are.”

She doesn’t just accept them, she wants them to be bigger. Permanent. She dreams of a body that doesn’t need changing to feel right.

This internal dialogue has been the soundtrack of my life. Two voices. One body. No clear winner.

The Weight of Change: When the Body Fights Back

Weight gain and loss have always added complexity to the equation.

For years, I've cycled through yo-yo dieting—gain, lose, repeat. Each attempt to “take control” of my body comes with mixed motives. Part of it is health. Part of it is self-esteem. But a major, unspoken part is this:

I want to fit into my ideal dress size.

That perfect little black dress hanging in the wardrobe. That fantasy outfit that hugs the hips and flatters the chest. Every pound lost is a step toward that version of myself, a more confident, more feminine version.

But here’s the catch: weight gain makes the breasts more pronounced, rounder, fuller. Clothes cling. Movement becomes uncomfortable. The chest bounces more.

So I run. I diet. I hit the gym.

But even that isn’t simple.

Running means breast movement—often painful, always noticeable. Without proper support, the chest bounces with every step. There’s nipple chafing, soreness, the sting of sweat and friction, and the ever-present fear of being seen or judged.

“You’re doing this to get back into that size 16 dress” my feminine voice insists and whilst my male self is happy to lose weight and lose the fat around my already pronounced breast tissue, my feminine voice whispers "But I like how they look when they're fuller."

It’s a constant contradiction. Losing weight flattens the chest, which feels like a relief for one part of the self, and a loss for the other.

Gaining weight fills out the dress, but increases the discomfort, visibility, and judgement when presenting as male.

There’s no simple win. Just another loop in the lifelong cycle of trying to find peace in a body that never quite settles.

Living Between Two Selves

Every outfit is a decision. Every mirror glance is a moment of negotiation.

I don’t “hate” my body, but I’ve spent most of my life trying to navigate it. To dress it, hide it, enhance it, or shape it, depending on which voice is louder that day.

Loose T-shirts offer comfort, but never confidence. Tight dresses bring euphoria—but only in the right setting, at the right time, away from the wrong eyes.

I've learned to live in between, never fully one thing, never fully the other. I've had to balance emotional expression with physical practicality. Dreams with reality. Feminine longing with male-coded survival.

And after all these years, the same questions still linger:

    •    Who am I when I look in the mirror?
    •    Can both voices ever feel satisfied?
    •    Is there a version of myself where I don’t have to choose?

Finding Peace, Bit by Bit

Now, entering the second half of life, there’s something softer emerging.

Not resignation. Not bitterness. But something like acceptance.

A growing belief that maybe both voices can exist without fighting. That maybe the goal isn’t to erase one or replace the other, but to live alongside both.

That acceptance has taken on a new, unexpected shape recently.  After years of hiding, I decided to reclaim my chest in a very different way: I had my nipples pierced.

What might once have felt like an act of rebellion instead became an act of ownership. A way of saying: this is mine.

The piercings shine through thin polo shirts, sometimes poking the fabric, sometimes drawing glances. But instead of shrinking away, they feel a quiet thrill. A confidence that’s new. A sense of pride not only when dressed in a way that affirms the feminine voice, but also in day-to-day life when presenting as male.

For the first time, attention doesn’t feel like exposure. It feels like expression.

Maybe the breasts don’t have to be hidden every day. Maybe it’s okay for them to stand out—not as a mistake to cover, but as a story to carry.

This body has carried them for over 50 years. Through shame and euphoria. Through hunger and hope. Through hiding and celebration. And now, adorned with steel and self-acceptance, it feels a little more like home.

Maybe it’s not broken at all.
Maybe it’s just honest.

My Final Thoughts

Gynecomastia is often reduced to a punchline or a footnote in medical textbooks. But for those who live with it—especially those who straddle the gender binary—it’s a daily experience of contradiction, longing, and survival.

For decades, my chest was a source of tension. Something to manage, compress, explain, or excuse. But today, it’s also something decorated, celebrated, and claimed. The nipple piercings aren’t just jewellery, they’re symbols of a shift. A declaration that this body, with all its complications, is still mine to shape, display, and take pride in.

The two voices are still there. They probably always will be. But instead of clashing, they’ve found new ways to meet in the middle. Sometimes that means a dress. Sometimes it means a loose T-shirt. And sometimes, it means letting the piercings shine through the fabric, drawing glances not with shame but with a sense of quiet victory.

Because in the end, it isn’t just about hiding or revealing, covering or celebrating. It’s about owning every part of who I am, male, female, or something beautifully in between.

Two voices. One body.
And finally, a body I can be proud to live in.

Thanks for reading

 Lotte x 

8 comments:

  1. The twin snakes of Confirming vs Authenticity; a complex dance that varies over the years. 🙂

    As you wrote, I had a similar love/hate - or more accurately wish/shame reaction over my 'moobs'.

    During my teenage years - and perhaps like most other kids the same age - I both wanted to be me and to be accepted by my peers. Tricky when everything is quite binary.

    I think I've learned to hide and accept them. Indeed, I think now I think of my less-than-fully-flat chest as good fortune. They look natural to me and as bodies come in so shaped and sizes, why shouldn't we be okay to accept ourselves as we are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice reply Lynn. You’re absolutely right, we should be okay to accept ourselves as we are x

      Delete
  2. I had this condition in my late teens. It went away in my early 20s and didn't reappear. I'm amazed at how many mtf transgender I have come across who have had breast development. It's almost certain to be connected with our trans feelings, and proves that gender development isn't at all simple and binary.
    I'm so glad you are becoming at ease with yourself and your body.
    Dee xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. Yes I always wondered if my breast development and trans feelings were linked,

      Delete
  3. Well written, Lotte. It's an important subject.

    I too have gynecomastia but it came about 15 years ago, settled, and has now increased again. Their size seems to be quite stable, independent of my weight. I find them very affirming. I can now wear a bra with no padding, forms, etc if I want and that thrills me. So I'm very happy with my gynecomastia, but I can appreciate the social difficulties for others in a different situation from mine.

    I hope your piercings have settled in and are giving you joy. Sounds like it.

    By the way, I call my boobs Pinky and Perky!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, yes an important subject.

      Wow, Pinky and Perky, remember them? That's going back a good few years Sue.

      Piercings have settled In and I’m still able to do my running without issue.

      Delete
  4. Dear Lotte, I was just now able to catch up on your recent postings, which I very much enjoyed. And I think you look great in those pictures. Learning to do your own makeover is a skill worthwhile learning, as I gives you great flexibility. As I had recently reported on my blog, I can be ready to head out within one to two hours and I can stay out for up to 12. I also found your thoughts and actions on piercings intriguing. It makes me want to bring up the topic of a naval piercing to my wife again. So far she has rejected my idea, mostly because she does not like piercings in general. Love, Franzi. PS: somehow my first attempt to comment seemed to have failed. If two of them show up now, this is due my fat-fingering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Franzi. Glad you enjoyed my posts, nice that you stopped by.

      Delete