INTRO: A DREAM IN THE MAKING
There are moments in life that hold a special kind of significance, moments that carry dreams, aspirations, and sometimes even a little bit of fear. For me, one of those moments is fast approaching, the day of my bridal makeover and photoshoot at Femme Side Studio. It’s been a long 11 weeks of preparation, anticipation, and a whirlwind of emotions, and now, I’m on the edge of the final few days before my dream becomes a reality. This isn’t just a photoshoot. This is the ultimate expression of my femininity, the moment I’ve been envisioning for years: the opportunity to wear a wedding dress, to experience bridal makeup, and to see myself in a way I’ve always dreamed of.
THE WEDDING DRESS: A SYMBOL OF FEMININE ELEGANCE
The dress itself has been a long-time dream. There are so many stunning wedding dresses out there, each one more beautiful than the last, that choosing just one felt like a challenge. But when I finally found The Carmela wedding dress from Wed2Be, I knew it was the one. It was everything I had imagined, a perfect blend of modern sophistication and timeless elegance. I never thought I’d find one that fit so perfectly, but when I slipped it on with my daughter’s help to check the fit ahead of the upcoming bridal makeover and photoshoot, everything fell into place. The lace, the way the fabric hugs my body and flows with such grace is exactly what I had envisioned.
At the time, though, I couldn’t fully appreciate the moment for what it was. I wasn’t wearing any makeup or a wig, so looking in the mirror, I saw a man in a dress, a version of me that didn’t quite match the image I had in my head. It was hard not to be taken aback by that, but I tried to look past it. This dress, after all, was about something more than what I saw in that instant; it was about the dream I was working toward, the transformation that was just around the corner. I knew that with the makeup and wig, everything would come together, and the dress would feel as magical as I imagined.
The dress features a flattering A-line silhouette that gently skims my body, offering a relaxed yet graceful fit, while the intricate lace detailing adds a soft, feminine touch. The deep V-neckline is a modern twist, elongating the torso and offering a hint of allure without being too bold. The cap sleeves, combined with the delicate lacework, give the dress a romantic, ethereal vibe, making me feel like I’m floating in something truly special.
For me, this dress is more than just clothing. It’s a statement. A way of expressing the feminine side of me that I’ve always felt, but never fully embraced until recently. As the years have passed, I’ve come to embrace who I am, and when I look in the mirror with the dress on, I see a version of myself that feels whole, feminine, graceful, and confident. This is a version of me I’ve never had the chance to share openly, and that makes this moment all the more precious.
The subtle train at the back, with its vintage button details, only adds to the magic, creating a beautiful focal point as I imagine myself walking down the aisle. It’s a dream, really, but one that feels so real when I stand in front of the mirror, knowing that the full bridal look will soon bring it to life. I’ve chosen well, and in this dress, I feel like I’m truly honouring my inner feminine self.
THE MAKEUP: BRIDAL GLAM MEETS REALITY
When I think about the bridal makeup, I feel a sense of anticipation and excitement. For someone like me, who has spent years carefully curating my femininity, the chance to sit in the chair and allow someone like Tracey to transform me feels like a dream come true. Will she create a soft, romantic look with rosy cheeks and a perfect red lip? Will my eyes pop with lashes that flutter as I look into the camera? There’s something incredibly special about the act of someone else doing your makeup, a process that enhances not just your features but your sense of self. It’s a celebration of all things feminine, and I can’t wait to see the final look.
Yet, there’s still a part of me that wonders, "Will I ever truly look feminine enough?" I’ve struggled with this question for as long as I can remember. In my head, I have a picture of the woman I want to be, elegant, graceful, and confident. But I know the reality is different. I’m not in my twenties any more, and no amount of makeup or a beautiful dress can erase the passage of time. But what if that’s okay? What if femininity isn’t just about youthful looks or a picture-perfect image? Maybe it’s about confidence, about feeling like you belong in your own skin, regardless of age.
THE HAIR: A TOUCH OF MAGIC
The hair is another area where I’m excited and curious. I’ll be wearing a wig, which will be a key part of completing the bridal look. The question remains: will it be styled up, creating a classic, elegant bridal style, or will it flow freely, giving me that fairy-tale feeling I’ve always fantasised about? The hair will play an important role in the transformation, bringing everything together in a way that feels authentic to the moment. While it’s a temporary change, stepping into this look, this version of myself, will feel genuine and powerful for that time. In those fleeting moments, it will feel real.
FANTASY VS. REALITY: A COMPLEX JOURNEY
As much as I’ve dreamt of this day, part of me still wrestles with the tension between fantasy and reality. On one hand, the idea of seeing myself in a wedding dress, every inch of me feminine and graceful, is intoxicating. But I also know that, as much as I try, I will never fully escape the realities of who I am. Time has taken its toll, and my body will never look like the idealised version I have in my head. There’s a vulnerability in that, a sense of knowing that no amount of makeup or hair can change my male appearance. And, at times, it hurts.
But perhaps that’s the beauty of it. In a world that often celebrates youth and perfection, I’m learning to embrace my own version of femininity, one that is shaped not by unrealistic ideals, but by my experiences, my growth, and my courage to step into this moment. The reality is that the person I am today is enough. My experiences, my imperfections, and my journey have shaped me into the person I am now, and that’s what makes this transformation meaningful.
A FINAL THOUGHT: EMBRACING THE MOMENT
As the big day approaches, I’m filled with a mixture of excitement and nervousness. The excitement comes from the realisation that I’m about to live out a dream, and the nervousness is the natural companion to any moment of transformation. Will I look the way I imagine? Will I feel the way I want to feel? These are questions I’ll have to wait to answer. But one thing is certain: this journey is not about perfection; it’s about self-expression, about embracing who I am in this moment.
The dress, the makeup, the wig, they’re just the surface. The deeper transformation is in the confidence to step into the woman I’ve always known myself to be, no matter what the mirror reflects back. And maybe that’s what this photoshoot is all about: celebrating the person I am now, in all my complexity, with grace, dignity, and a touch of bridal magic.
CLOSING THOUGHT:
In writing this blog post, I’m not just sharing my excitement and anticipation; I’m also reminding myself that the process of becoming who we truly are is often messy, imperfect, and filled with both joy and doubt. But it’s also beautiful in its own right. This bridal photoshoot is my way of honouring that journey.
Thanks for reading
Lotte x


This was such a beautiful read, Lotte. The way you shared the excitement, fear, and hope behind your bridal makeover felt so real and relatable. I love how you’re embracing the fantasy and the reality with so much honesty. I know you’re going to look incredible. Not because of the dress or makeup, but because you’re stepping into a version of yourself you’ve waited so long to meet. Can’t wait to see how it all comes together for you 💕
ReplyDeleteAww thanks for your kind comments Michelle. Nice that you found it a beautiful read too x
DeleteI'm not sure I've ever read any writer who expressed her inner thoughts, feelings, vulnerabilities and wishes so openly, honestly, eloquently and beautifully as you, Lotte. It's said that every girl has planned her wedding in her mind's eye since she was little and it's like you have, too. Your hopes and dreams and worries are so authentic. I think that confirms your femininity more than anything and on the big day that femininity will show through as it does when any bride is happy and focused. I'm so looking forward to reading about how it went.
ReplyDeleteJust to come down to earth (Miss Clumpy Practical here, sorry!), here's advice based on my experience with trans makeovers. As I've said before, you are the customer, so discuss the look you are aiming for with your stylist; don't just wonder if you will get a romantic or bold look, with hair up or down. It's your choice. Your makeover artist has never met you before and will work with how she sees you for the first time without knowing the inner desires and vision you have since can't know them unless you express them. If you think romantic rose and flowing hair are your ideal wedding look then talk to her about that before you begin. If she thinks that might not work so well as, say, eye-catching makeup and hair up then let her explain why she thinks that will work better with your features. It's a two-way discussion. I mention this as last time there were things that disappointed you and just going with the flow seems to have made you a bit uncomfortable. So two thoughts from an outside observer based on your last photoshoot and your posts about looks you like: you've got lovely eyes, and last time they were highlighted well; the Wed2Be model looks fabulous with her hair back but we trans girls tend to have more forehead and jaw which get overemphasised with that kind of look, so hair that flows around our faces can diminish our more masculine features.
Have a wonderful time and hope the day is magical. So excited for you. :-)
Sue xx
Aww thanks for your kind words and sound advice Sue x
DeleteHi , thank you for sharing how messy transitioning can be, I find my sissy side ebbs and flows as the the wind changes direction and magnitude.
ReplyDeletehttps://sissymmarshasissyforever1.blogspot.com/2025/11/sissymmarshas-sissy-journey_6.html
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment x
DeleteWishing you the best of luck on the day and I hope you find what you need.
ReplyDeleteAs Sue points out, keeping your feet on the floor can be a really good thing. Yes, a magical day is the dream and - perhaps ironically - going on with simple expectations can help with that. The rub being that 'overdreaming' it means even if the best things happen, the reality won't match the dream, and you'll be disappointed. Equally avoiding this "well of course it's going to be bad" negativity is going to take the shine off too.
So, where might we tread? Maybe "for things to go well, I would like....". The mind shift is "well" and the details might be If like my make-up to be pretty, bring out my best creatures and if really like my X to be the focus. X bring hair, lips, or eyes
As to hair, maybe a wee experiment at home on hair up or hair down may save time on the day, so you feel your best.
L x
Thank you Lynn. I think you’ve put your finger exactly on the tricky balance: hoping for a little magic without building it up so much that reality can’t possibly keep pace. I’m definitely guilty of “overdreaming,” so I really appreciate the reminder to ground myself.
DeleteI love the way you phrased it: “For things to go well, I would like…” That feels gentle, hopeful, and realistic all at once. And you’re right, focusing on just a few little things, like wanting my makeup to feel flattering or choosing the feature I most want to highlight, feels much kinder than expecting perfection x
I hope you have a magical experience and feel all of the joy that you deserve.
ReplyDeleteDee xxx
Thanks Dee x
DeleteGood for you! I applaud your initiative and courage. This is, for many, an ultimate dream: the feminine Olympic height. I look forward to the report on your experience and feelings.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ally x
Delete