Monday, November 3, 2025

More Than a Wig:
A Way Forward Begins with a Consultation

 
BEFORE MY VISIT: GETTING TO KNOW REINVENT YOURSELF
 
Reinvent Yourself (Makeover Girl) is an image consultancy based in Eccleston, Lancashire, founded by stylist Gill Springgay. The business helps clients rediscover their confidence through personal styling, makeup guidance, and wardrobe advice. Known for its warm, inclusive approach, Reinvent Yourself specialises in supporting transgender women during their transition, offering tailored makeovers, shopping experiences, and confidence-building sessions. Gill also runs small-group workshops from her Eccleston studio, helping people of all backgrounds embrace their individuality and style.
  
MY JOURNEY WITH REINVENT YOURSELF BEGINS 
 
I first came across Reinvent Yourself while researching makeover studios for crossdressers back in July this year. I initially contacted Gill to find out more about the services she offered, as I was particularly interested in a makeover and photoshoot.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, Gill wasn’t able to respond to my enquiry at the time, and I ended up booking a session with Femme Side Studio instead.  

Not long after that visit, I reached out to Gill again, this time about a wig consultation, as I was keen to invest in a better-quality wig and wanted someone skilled to cut and style it for me.

I was especially keen to use Gill’s services after reading some of the testimonials on the Reinvent Yourself website. She came across as someone I could feel relaxed and comfortable with — someone who could help me with wig selection, makeup advice, eyebrow shaping, and, more importantly, guide me as I grow my own hair longer and even help me eventually style it into the feminine hair style that I had desired.

After a few back-and-forth emails, I eventually booked a Saturday morning appointment with her for a wig consultation.
 
APPOINTMENT DAY 
 
On Saturday morning, I made the 30-minute drive to the village of Eccleston, near Chorley, to see Gill. I had originally planned to go alone, but since my daughter wasn’t working and I wanted to spend some quality time with her, I asked if she wanted to come along. She jumped at the chance, and our plan was to visit Gill first and then go for a Morrisons breakfast.

The appointment was for 10 a.m., and we arrived early, parking on Lord Street, a small side road just around the corner from the studio. We wandered over to Bygone Times across the way and were going to have a look inside, but soon realised a membership card was needed for entry. We walked back to the main road, took a quick photo of the makeup studio from across the street, and then walked over and waited outside for Gill to arrive.
  

It was just past 10 a.m. when Gill turned up, and I made myself known. We waited while she unset the studio alarm, and then we were invited inside and offered a hot drink.

Prior to my visit, I had emailed Gill the AI-generated image below to show her the particular hairstyle I had in mind, both for the wig I wanted and for how I would like to grow my own hair.
 
 
The conversation started with me introducing myself and explaining why I was looking for a new wig. I told her I’d bought several cheaper wigs in the past and was now hoping to invest in something of better quality. After my visit to Femme Side Studio, I was also considering a lighter colour, perhaps a soft brown or even blonde.

From chatting with Gill, it quickly became clear that she was the right person to guide me. She instinctively understood which shades would flatter my skin tone and which wig styles would balance my face shape. There was a quiet confidence in the way she spoke, the kind that comes from years of experience, but also from genuine care.

For the first time, I felt like I’d found someone who could truly support me on my journey. Someone I could feel relaxed and open with. Someone who didn’t just see me as a client, but as a person, someone trying to align their outer appearance with their inner self.

In addition to wigs, Gill also offers makeup tutorials and eyebrow shaping, both things I’ve wanted help with for a long time. They might sound like small details, but for me, they’re the finishing touches that could make all the difference. These are the things that have quietly held me back from dressing more often, from feeling fully me.

I felt comfortable chatting with Gill, about my background, my dressing journey, my thoughts and feelings, even my trans side. She listened without judgement, with a warmth that made it easy to be honest.

Then came the moment. Gill picked up a wig that she thought matched what I’d described and gently placed it on my head. As I turned toward the mirror, that familiar rush of emotion hit me, the mix of hope and discomfort that comes when I see myself caught between two worlds.

It’s one of those moments when internalised transphobia rears its ugly head. I see not the woman I want to be, but the man I’ve spent years trying to move beyond. And for a few seconds, I feel that wave of self-loathing, that harsh, uninvited voice whispering that I’ll never look right, never be enough. It’s raw, it’s painful, and it leaves me feeling exposed in a way that’s hard to explain.

I tried at least four different wigs, and Gill seemed to be quickly deducing what was going to work for me. She pulled out her wig catalogue and showed me one style she thought I’d probably like, and one she believed would suit my face shape and overall look. It was a style called Lyndon.
 
  
I liked the style very much, the length is good, and I love the layers:
  
 
'Lyndon' wig style
 
While I was sat in the chair, in between trying on wigs, I’d catch sight of my own hair in the mirror. With the lighting, I realised how much I was liking my natural grey colour. I was already warming to the idea of the Lyndon wig in a similar tone,  Silverstone, as it happens.
 
'Silverstone' wig colour
 
I found a few YouTube videos that showcase the Lyndon wig, and the more I watch them, the more I love this style, especially in the Silverstone colour:
 
 
I really love the second video; it shows off the wig beautifully. The medium brown colour is lovely too, perhaps one to consider for the future:
 
 
 
I think I’m really going to like this wig, and hopefully by the end of my next visit, I’ll have a wig that’s been cut and styled to suit my face shape, and I’ll have a bit more know-how on how to put it on correctly every time.

It was almost 11:30 a.m. by the time we finished trying out wigs and agreed that the Lyndon was the one I liked best.

We said our goodbyes, and on the way out, I asked if it was okay to take a couple of photos for my blog. Gill said it was fine, so I took the following shots, one of some of the makeup products and accessories available for purchase:
  
 
And the second photo shows the little room at the back of the makeup studio where the photoshoots are done:
 

Since my visit, Gill has been back in touch to let me know she’d searched through all her suppliers and found a few styles that fit the brief in terms of style and colour. There were three in total, including the Lyndon wig. I replied to say that I was still drawn to the Lyndon wig, so she’s ordering it today. I’ve got another appointment later in the week to try it out,  and she said she’ll apply some makeup next time so I can see what the wig looks like when I’m en femme.

Watch this space for an update after my next visit to try the new wig.
 
Thanks for reading
 
Lotte x 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lotte,
    The Lyndon wig looks fabulous, and I have no doubt you'll look great in it, God I'd love to look like the girl modeling it, she's so beautiful. Reinvent yourself looks like a great place, Gill sounds lovely and it's not too far away so that's great for you. It's great that your daughter went along with you, that's really supportive, I didn't realise your daughter knew about Charlotte. What did she think of Reinvent yourself and of the wig and of Charlotte in general. Excited to see update on how the fitting goes later in the week, will your daughter be going with you again?

    Hugs.

    Jasmine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Yes the Lyndon wig does look fabulous doesn’t it.

      I’m so glad I found Reinvent Yourself and I’m hoping I can indeed reinvent myself with Gill’s help. The fact it’s not too far from where I live is great.

      My daughter has known about Lotte for a good few years now. She liked the idea of Reinvent Yourself if it helps the likes of me feel relaxed and able to move forwards.

      She thought the wig was lovely but she’s only seen it in the catalogue. She did say that she wants to go with me again when I go for the wig fitting, so that’ll be nice.

      Lotte x

      Delete
  2. I've heard quite a lot about Gill Springgay over the years and she seems to have a lot of satisfied customers so it sounds like a good choice on your part. A good wig makes all the difference and I hope this one will be everything your feminine heart desires.

    So good to hear of your daughter coming with you. You're a lucky lady.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so much fun! The Lyndon wig looks gorgeous. I don’t usually wear wigs since I’m trying to grow out my natural hair, but I’d totally be open to something like this if it were available near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, yes the Lyndon wig does look gorgeous and I can’t wait to go back for my fitting at the end of the week.

      Delete