Choosing a tattoo is never a decision I take lightly, especially when it’s something so permanent. For me, a tattoo is more than just art, it’s a reflection of who I am, what I love, and how I choose to express my true self. After much thought and reflection, I’ve decided on a design that feels deeply personal: three colourful butterflies, each with realistic shadows, stretching from just above my hip to below my ribcage. This tattoo is more than just a beautiful image; it’s a permanent mark of my connection to the feminine energy that has always been a core part of me.
Butterflies have always been a symbol of femininity, delicate, graceful, vibrant. But for me, they also represent something deeper: transformation, freedom, and strength. The journey of a butterfly, from caterpillar, to chrysalis, to butterfly, feels like a metaphor for the personal process I’ve gone through in embracing the feminine side of my identity. But what’s important to note is that my expression of femininity isn’t about transitioning into something else, it’s about fully embracing who I already am and expressing that in the most authentic way I know how.
Transitioning in the way that many people may think of it is not an option for me. As a husband and a father, my responsibilities and my love for my family shape the path I’ve chosen. My journey isn’t about changing my gender or my role as a father, but about embracing and expressing my love for all things feminine in a way that fits who I am today. This tattoo is a symbol of that, a representation of the feminine energy I’ve always felt inside me, now expressed outwardly through art that’s permanent and meaningful.
Butterflies have always been a symbol of femininity, delicate, graceful, vibrant. But for me, they also represent something deeper: transformation, freedom, and strength. The journey of a butterfly, from caterpillar, to chrysalis, to butterfly, feels like a metaphor for the personal process I’ve gone through in embracing the feminine side of my identity. But what’s important to note is that my expression of femininity isn’t about transitioning into something else, it’s about fully embracing who I already am and expressing that in the most authentic way I know how.
Transitioning in the way that many people may think of it is not an option for me. As a husband and a father, my responsibilities and my love for my family shape the path I’ve chosen. My journey isn’t about changing my gender or my role as a father, but about embracing and expressing my love for all things feminine in a way that fits who I am today. This tattoo is a symbol of that, a representation of the feminine energy I’ve always felt inside me, now expressed outwardly through art that’s permanent and meaningful.
The final design for my feminine tattoo
The butterfly, in its own quiet way, is a perfect metaphor for this process. It’s not about becoming something new or transforming into someone else, it’s about embracing the natural beauty and strength within, about stepping into the world as your true self. The tattoo, though hidden beneath my clothes and shared only with those closest to me, will always be with me. It’s a reminder of my love for femininity and the power of fully expressing that love without needing to change who I am or the roles I hold in my family.
Getting this tattoo is a big step for me, not just because of its permanence, but because it represents a deeper commitment to living authentically. It’s a visual representation of the freedom I feel in expressing my feminine side, a side that has always been with me but is now more visible and fully embraced than ever before. The butterfly is not just a symbol of delicate beauty; it’s a symbol of resilience, strength, and the freedom to live authentically, no matter how that looks.
I’m excited to share this step in my journey because it’s not just about the tattoo itself, it’s about fully owning who I am and all the things I love. The butterfly tattoo will forever be a reminder that I don’t need to conform to others' expectations of what my life, my identity, or my family should look like. It’s my way of saying, “This is me. And I’m proud of it.”
Getting this tattoo is a big step for me, not just because of its permanence, but because it represents a deeper commitment to living authentically. It’s a visual representation of the freedom I feel in expressing my feminine side, a side that has always been with me but is now more visible and fully embraced than ever before. The butterfly is not just a symbol of delicate beauty; it’s a symbol of resilience, strength, and the freedom to live authentically, no matter how that looks.
I’m excited to share this step in my journey because it’s not just about the tattoo itself, it’s about fully owning who I am and all the things I love. The butterfly tattoo will forever be a reminder that I don’t need to conform to others' expectations of what my life, my identity, or my family should look like. It’s my way of saying, “This is me. And I’m proud of it.”
Finally, before moving forward with the tattoo, I made sure to have a conversation with my wife yesterday evening. I didn’t want to surprise her yet again, so I thought it best to get her thoughts on the decision first. Her response was everything I could’ve hoped for, supportive, understanding, and without any reservations.
Knowing that she is fully on board has given me the peace of mind to move ahead.
I've booked an appointment to have it done at the beginning at December.
So watch this space.
Lotte x

That's a lovely design, Lotte. And the thoughts and motives behind it are lovely, too. I'm so glad that you talked to your wife who is so supportive and that she's happy, too.
ReplyDeleteThere's a lot to look forward to on your site in coming weeks: wedding photos and now a butterfly tattoo, if you want to share the real thing with us.
Sue xx
Thanks Sue. Yes a lot to look forward to before Xmas, I’m super excited.
DeleteGood luck at the artist's, Lotte, and with the aftercare too. A tattoo - as you say - is a deeply personal choice and one that's with us from then onwards.
ReplyDeleteThanks Lynn.
Delete