Wednesday, October 1, 2025

Wanting the Look: Off The Shoulder Jumper and Sequin Leggings


 
It’s funny to think that I bought this outfit back in November 2023, and yet it’s been quietly folded away, tucked into the drawer beneath my bed all this time. I intended to write about it then, to share what it meant to me, but life had other plans, and somehow it got pushed to the sidelines. Still, it never left my mind. It lingered, patiently waiting for the right moment to be brought to life through words.

Now, with Christmas just around the corner, it feels like the perfect time to finally give this outfit its due. If Lotte, this version of me that embraces her femininity, were to attend a Christmas party, this would undoubtedly be the look she’d choose. There’s something about this ensemble that feels so celebratory, yet intimately personal.

When I first spotted it on the Next website, I was captivated instantly. Maybe it was the way the black Sosandar chenille jumper draped softly off the model’s shoulder, that velvety texture glowing under the light. Or the stark, yet delicate contrast between the deep black of the jumper and the shimmering, black Sosandar sequinned leggings. Every element, the black strappy heels, the subtle glint of the gold pendant resting gently across the jumper, felt like a perfect harmony, like the outfit was telling a story of quiet confidence and bold expression.

I remember staring at those photos, feeling a complicated mix of admiration and envy. Admiration for the way the model owned the look with such effortless grace, and envy because I longed to feel that same freedom, to walk outside, head held high, without hesitation or fear. Those images stirred something deep inside me. I wanted to be that model, to embody that same confidence and poise, to live out that version of myself I yearned to become. In fact, seeing that woman in the photo was one of the reasons I decided to grow my hair long, to move closer to that vision of myself I hadn’t fully embraced before.

Even now, those pictures live on my phone, a quiet reminder of both aspiration and vulnerability. They’re a glimpse of who I want to be when I let Lotte take the lead, despite the doubts that sometimes hold me back.


screenshot from my mobile phone

It’s about more than just clothes, really. It’s about identity, courage, and the small moments of self-acceptance that build up over time. I think it’s time I capture that, maybe finally take a photo of myself in this outfit and embrace the image I’ve held onto for so long.

AI generated image of the outfit

Sosandar Black Off The Shoulder Chenille Jumper
https://www.next.co.uk/style/su093166/n62526

Sosandar Black Sequin Leggings
https://www.next.co.uk/style/su100440/n62692

 Thanks for reading

 Lotte x

6 comments:

  1. "...It’s about more than just clothes, really. It’s about identity, courage, and the small moments of self-acceptance that build up over time..."

    Clothes maketh the, ummm, trans acceptance? ๐Ÿ™ƒ

    Silly comments aside, I think certain looks do take confidence to wear. Not just the typical confidence challengers of fitted, bodycon, revealing, etc; but colourful, bright, 'wow factor', sparkly, etc. Being in a place - mentally and/or socially - where you are supported in your choices, I think that's so important.

    FWIW, I've heard similar comments from blokes about some of my -ahem- more fanciful or brightly patterned shirts. I remember one colleague dating that he wished he had the confidence to wear one, but didn't quite bring himself to do so, bless him. This isn't about "oh, I can / you can't" but, IMO, being kind and asking why not? ๐Ÿค—

    Hope to see a picture when you are ready. I think the outfit looks fab and just right for a party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, sensible words as usual. Yes, it would be a good time for a picture. I just need to find which drawer the outfit is safely stowed away in. Then I need to remember where those lovely strapped sandals are too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lotte, I'm catching up with fellow bloggerettes after a couple of weeks occupied with other things.

    Your previous post was really long and I have to say that I am really looking forward to your wedding photoshoot. Very much your 'special day'.

    I love the look in this post and, yes, the model wears it perfectly and confidently. It's impossible not to admire her poise and wish the same abilities for oneself.

    As far as sequinned clothes go, I have a black all-over sequinned skirt and black sequinned leggings like these. Lovely to look at, especially out in the evening or at a club, but the sequins catch on everything so you need to be careful with the furniture, bags, long sweaters like this and so on. My skirt's been retired as it rips tights to shreds!

    A note on confidence to go out as Lotte looking like this, as you've mentioned this feeling several times recently. I can't advise on confidence - one day you'll reach the point where you must move up a rung or feel unhappy. Girls need a chaperone on their first trip out, someone to help them navigate the new world they find themselves in when dressed. It's different from the everyday blokey world - the feelings, the air, the way interactions work and, of course, the emotions... See who's out there who'd like to accompany you - and lots of girls will as it's a pleasure and honour for them; it certainly has always been for me. A club or event like Pride or Sparkle with lots of other TGirls is a good location to start a life in public. I'm sure you will fulfil your dreams.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Sorry for long previous post. Yes I’m really looking forward to the wedding photoshoot too, less than 50 days to go. The wait is a killer!

      Oh yes I am well aware of the downsides to sequin fashion. Everything seems to get snagged in them!

      Thanks for the wise words regarding confidence to go out, much appreciated x

      Delete
  3. I do love an asymmetrical look, and also cold shoulder style tops. Although most of mine have an asymmetrical hem, and symmetrical shoulders ๐Ÿ˜Š

    I am in a tartan long sleeved tunic with an asymmetrical hem today.

    Izzy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Izzy, thanks for stopping by. Yeah cold shoulder style tops rock! As do asymmetrical tops too.

      Delete