The photo was of the actress Trace Lysette, and as I studied the image, her poised stance, the confidence radiating from the fabric of her outfit, the perfection of her hair and makeup, a strange sensation began to stir within me. My heart picked up pace, caught between admiration and something else I couldn’t quite define.
On one hand, I was captivated, she was undeniably beautiful, and her ensemble was a flawless blend of elegance and glamour. But on the other hand, a deeper, unspoken longing crept in. I found myself wishing to look like her. I wanted her body, her curves, the confident way she wore her cleavage, her hair, the way that outfit draped around her. And most of all, I wanted to stand there, in her shoes, and exude the same kind of effortless grace.
There was something more than envy in this feeling, something elusive and hard to name. It felt almost like a quiet, nervous excitement, a fluttering inside me as I imagined myself, not just as a reflection of her, but as her. The thought of transforming, of embodying that same beauty, was both exhilarating and overwhelming, like standing on the edge of a dream.
When I discovered she was transgender, my feelings grew even more complex. There was a surge of envy, not just because of her beauty, but because I saw in her the possibility of something I had long desired: the chance to truly inhabit a female form, one that had once felt so out of reach. It made me wonder, if she could do it, could I? If she could evolve from a place of being male to this poised image of femininity, could I ever find a way to do the same?
But I must admit, the envy isn’t exclusive to transgender women. It extends to cisgender women as well. There are moments when I see a woman with a certain body shape, long, flowing hair, or breasts that seem so effortlessly natural, and I can’t help but wish I could possess those features. When I see an outfit, a silhouette, the way a dress falls just so, I ache to wear it with the same ease, to look as if I’ve always belonged in it. I long for a body that fits those ideals, not just for the sake of external beauty, but for the sense of wholeness that would come with it.
It's not simply a desire to copy or imitate, but a longing to feel at home in my own skin, something I see reflected in every person I envy, whether they were born with the body they have or had to fight for it.
I want her breasts, her hair, the way her femininity radiates effortlessly. I want to slip into the outfit she’s wearing and feel as captivating as she does in it, to carry myself with the same allure, the same magnetic charm. It’s not just admiration; it’s wanting to step into her skin, to occupy that space of beauty and confidence.
But those feelings, as intoxicating as they are, also stir something unsettling in me. They confuse me, twist me up inside. They make me feel small, inadequate, as if I’m constantly falling short of something I can’t quite reach. It's like I’m standing at the edge of what could be, but I’m paralysed, unable to take that leap. And worst of all, it doesn’t just fade away quickly. The feelings linger, making me feel low, as if I'm trapped in a cycle I can’t escape from, and it takes forever for my mind to reset, to feel normal again.
So, I wonder, do other crossdressers look at these photos the way I do? Do they, too, see a woman with flowing hair, a confidence that seems to come so naturally, and wish for just a moment that they could be her? Do they imagine their own hair cascading in waves, like the one in the picture, and feel that familiar ache of desire? That longing not just to admire, but to embody?
There’s something powerful about these images, not just the beauty they capture, but the way they stir our own sense of possibility. And it’s in that quiet moment of wishing that I feel a connection to something deeper.






I feel envy can be a complex emotion and that we need to be careful on how much we let it run. I think it can spur us on to try something new; to make a change we've been wanting, but couldn't quite find the push for.
ReplyDeleteHowever 🙂 Chasing a goal we can't get to can be deeply upsetting. There's a risk it can push us into that spiral of focusing on what we don't have - which I think we can agree, it's not good for us mentally. A lighter form of that is probably FOMO, and that can sting too.
I also think we need to be careful around change: are we changing ourselves because we want to be in a better place, or are we changing ourselves to conform to another's standards? Am I getting in shape because that makes me feel good and it's easier to get around, or because "thin & petite is pretty"... or so days the patriarchy.
FWIW, I think I've made my uneasy peace that I'll look as I do for the rest of the time on this planet. Yes, there will be times when I appear as I feel within, and I know these will be fleeting. There are small straps I can make and perhaps they are the best I can do, with the cards I've been dealt.
Occasionally, and if I'm not quite with it, that old devil FOMO e will shake the proverbial bars, and I'll have to ride those feelings out.
Thanks Lynn, you put it so well. I really like what you said about envy being something that can motivate us but also trip us up if we’re not careful. That balance between wanting change for ourselves versus trying to fit someone else’s standard really hits home. And yes, those FOMO moments still sneak in sometimes no matter how much peace we make with things! I really appreciate your perspective.
DeleteI get these feelings too. Attraction, Envy and desire to be like someone. It's those moments that I feel a sense of dysphoria. I'm pleased to say that dysphoria isn't a full-time thing with me. It hits me occasionally. Usually after these moments of envy. But I have learned to accept my limitations in some regards. And I let these emotions wash away as they inevitably do.Sometimes I take some inspiration and motivation from these moments of yearning. But I try not to dwell on something that is unattainable for me. And i look inspiration from those whose looks are attainable and achievable by me.
ReplyDeleteDee xxx
Dee, I can really relate to what you’re describing. Those waves of envy and dysphoria can hit hard sometimes, even when we know they’ll pass. It sounds like you’ve found a really healthy way to handle them — letting the feelings come and go while also finding inspiration where it makes sense for you. I like that mindset a lot; it’s grounded and kind to yourself.
DeleteI recall your feelings from last time you wrote about this. I know what you mean and I tried rationalising the irrational in this blog post of mine from 2011: https://suerichmond.blogspot.com/2011/10/that-ache.html
ReplyDeleteA similar problem arose with me last year when Dee posted a picture of 80s girl duo Strawberry Switchblade: https://suerichmond.blogspot.com/2024/10/what-sets-you-off.html
It’s not an issue just for us trans people. To use some clichés that advertisers rely on: men want that car they saw; women who see a female celebrity’s latest look can have similar emotions. Trans people’s response is more complex, I’d say, and very hard to describe.
Sue xx
Thanks, Sue — I really appreciate you sharing those links. You put it so well — that mix of admiration, envy, and longing really is hard to describe, and I agree it’s not something only trans folks experience, though it can definitely hit differently for us. I’ll check out your posts; it’s always comforting to know others have wrestled with the same kind of feelings.
DeleteHi Lotte,
ReplyDeleteI relate so much to this post, I get the same feelings, looking at a beautiful woman like Trace really stirs the emotions, obviously there's an attraction there, she's gorgeous, but, simultaneously there's a need or want to be her, to look and feel like her, it's the same feeling when I see a beautiful woman in a gorgeous outfit in real life, the way she moves, carries herself with confidence and grace and wishing it was me. Seeing a gorgeous transwoman like Trace amplifies these feelings, as she at one point was like me, but, now she's this gorgeous woman, so it's possible, but, yet it feels impossible without exploding my whole life to bits, something I'm not prepared to do. Women are so lucky and they don't realise it!
Jasmine xx
Hi Jasmine,
DeleteThank you so much for taking the time to reply, it really means a lot. I’m glad to know I’m not alone in feeling this way. You’ve described it so perfectly, that mix of admiration, longing, and impossibility all at once.
Like you, I’m not prepared to explode my life to bits either, but it’s comforting to know that someone else understands exactly what that push and pull feels like.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts, it’s lovely to know there are others out there who truly get it.
Lotte x